SDKBox vs Sonar System Helper which on to use?

Sure, it does increase the size. We are always conscientious about this. As we iterate hopefully it can get smaller.

Why is everyone so concerned about some Megabytes?

As if current Smartphones would only have 64MB of RAM/storageā€¦ :wink:

I think there is a limit of 50MB in APK size?

Yes, but why would that pose a problem? You can use 2 expansion files of 2GB each. The expansion files will be automatically downloaded.

I canā€™t speak for everyone, but developers have mentioned that it is a lot to ask their players to download as 50mb is already a lot in some countries, perhaps?

Technically, where I live, 2gb would take me 6+ hours depending. Some days, pulling down a few hundred megs is tough although normal browsing is usually fine.

It does make me wonder then, how the most popular games out there could have been played, as they are way over 50MB.

The average download speed in the EU is 16MBit and 100MBit being the norm in a few years.

Not to mention the 50GB size of AAA PC and console games.

@iQD

Size is very important.
Not all people having good and large storage devices with high speed internet.
They wonā€™t waiting your large app to completed download as there are plenty app in the store.

So smaller size can attract them to try.

You canā€™t compare with the most popular games as people will try to download because they urge to play.

I moved 14 posts to a new topic: Size versus Quality -> Moved from SDKBOX vs Sonar System Helper which on to use?

It isnā€™t open-source currently. That isnā€™t to say it wonā€™t be in the future. Right now, our goals are to provide an easy to use package manger style interface for integrating functionality that you all ask for. To do this, we really need to focus on the integrations, maintaining usability and stability, etc.

Thanks for reacting so fast @slackmoehrle!

Exactly, especially for 2d games.

When you create some very basic 2d game with size is 3-4mb and then when Adding SDKBX you get like 8mb with All SKDā€™s included. Apk size is very critical for downloads, with smaller apk you have bigger chance to get downloaded(50mb+ will be downloaded only at home and not in metro). Also if you app is 8mb then adding sdkbox it crossing 10mb -some kind physical factor for peoples that apk is to big:)

@energyy

From what @nite stated in the size testing.

SDKBOX only increase app size around 200KB.
Other size increment is caused by the SDK itself not SDKBOX.

So i think you may need to consider which SDK can be excluded to reduce app size.

You name it, very basic 2d games Non of the games with the highest user retention fall into this category.
If you are adding every IAP and Ad SDK provided, you have to accept that size. If you donā€™t, than just use an IAP/Ad provider of your choice.
Itā€™s not SDKBOX, which is accountable for the size, but the 3rd party SDKs are.

Itā€™s very critical for ā€œkill a little timeā€ games, but not games, where your goal is to engage users.
If the user wants to play your game, he will download it at home. Thatā€™s the point.

If he is not willing to do that, this user may not be your targeted audience in the first place.

But thatā€™s your fault than, as you tried to squeeze in every IAP and Ad provider. The developers of SDKBOX cannot do anything about it, because they are just bundling 3rd party SDKs.

If you want to keep it small, just use the platform owners frameworks.

Exactly!

Totally.

WOW, nice little debate :smiley:

First of all thanks for everyone who has used and contributed to the Cocos Helper. Here is a list of amazing things about the Cocos Helper:

1. Open Source - its open nature means it can advance a lot faster than anything else, just look at Cocos2d-x, it was the open source decision that made this amazing engine what it is today. The worlds most popular open source game engine
  2. Not just external frameworks but features that we really need, features that will even make it into Cocos2d-x in the months and years to come but instantly. For example we added notifications and soon Android immersive mode natively.
  3. Extremely light weight, very small in size
  4. The best documentation is available for Cocos Helper in the form of amazing step by step videos, something we are very experienced in and have been providing for over a year and half to the community
  5. The best benefit of all, we can all add features to it as a community and help it grow. Viva La Open Source

Plus we offer one on one help to integrate the Helper into your project.

For more information check out http://www.sonarsystems.co.uk/cocoshelper.php

Good luck developing
Frahaan Hussain - CEO of Sonar Systems

2 Likes

Well I like the sonar cocos helper because you can make some modifications right now Iā€™m testing the amazon game circles for android, I donā€™t test the cocos helper but something you can do with that is make that you cocos app will work on android with google analytics, revmob, adcolony, then you go to your windows project it will just work fine of course the external pluggins for other platforms will be disable

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words.

Donā€™t forget you can also contribute your amazing code to the Cocos Helper repo on Github to help the entire community.

I canā€™t rely on closed source program.
2 weeks ago i had issue with SDKBox Facebook, and this issue still not fixed, i lost 1 day of work trying to make it works. Moreover, official facebook documentation is outdated, facebook plugin donā€™t works anymore.
I created some topics to ask why, but they were ignored.
So, i integrate facebook sdk by handā€¦ It works but i lost 1 more day ā€¦

I choose cocos2d because itā€™s open source, and everything can be fixed/improved by anyone like cocos helper.

I donā€™t want to blame SDKBox, itā€™s a good product with support, but i think it shouldnā€™t be closed source.

Thatā€™s what the Cocos Helper is about, everyone can contribute :smiley:

Also have you seen our Cocos Helper website that we launched a couple of weeks ago http://cocoshelper.sonarsystems.co.uk

Hi, Iā€™m now playing around with it.

I see latest version is 1.4.6, but there is pushed new code to master and no tags that it will be like 1.4.7 release and also latest master code is brokenā€¦ not working due Amazon Circlesā€¦ by defaultā€¦ Is there any guide for contribution to not have such mess with latest code?

BTW. now configured for Android Studio :slight_smile: and it works! :slight_smile:

What part of it doesnā€™t work and could you share your process for getting it to work in Android Studio.