Programmer's guide

I’ve came back to Cocos2d-x after a long period (quit because of an engine bug that couldn’t let me finish my game).
However it’s nice to see that that bug has been fixed, next thing I know the Programmer’s Guide has been taken down and apparently there’s a lack of documentation regarding the new engine updates (and by doc I mean well explained tuts). I’m having kind of a harsh time getting to know the engine again so I think creating a new PG would be great.
Well, you guys most likely are working on it already just here to point out the obvious lol :stuck_out_tongue:

agreeee with this

1 Like

If you develop in JavaScript, Cocos Creator is an awesome tool.

Agree. I am also a cocos2d-x user who started on cocos2d-x after a long gap although not because of bug but bcoz of different reason. Now here to finish my incomplete game in cocos2d-x. And it’s always hard time setting up all the dependencies :stuck_out_tongue:

But how come Programmers guide is down? It works for me. And it’s good.
http://www.cocos2d-x.org/docs/programmers-guide/actions/index.html

Only thing I feel missing is shipment chpater in programmer’s guide which could tell us the main points to do before uploading to the store example, to remove the extra libraries that you’re not using. I think it does remove it automatically but we’ve to remove the inclusions manually.

I always loved cocos2d-x for excellent APIs but the others things make me thing twice before picking up the engine. But I always end up picking it again :stuck_out_tongue: But just that the extra knowledge I gained last time I worked with cocos2d-x are waste now… (Extra knowledge as in like removing unnecessary modules from config file or whatever file-I forgot name, etc.) THIS CAN BE RESOLVED by making a convenient GUI starter which can be invoked any time to add or delete module from projects safely.

What do you mean it is down?

This could work. If you create an outline of what to cover, I will write it up.

As I said, it works for me. @Elio told it’s down for him.

Awesome. I’ve worked on just prototypes of mine. Never shipped any game as such.
So, may be those people who have shipped any game and faced any concerns/difficulties or anything can share their points.

As far as I think, simple points that can be included are:
(These are not necessarily cocos2d-x specific points but can be included to make PG as complete guide from start to shipment using cocos2d-x)
1) Where all to change the min/max-sdk version so that it’s compatible with different android versions while we’re building finally.
2) How to remove those libraries which are not being used so that the final apk can be of as low size as possible.
3) Changing package name. It’s easy but can be included if you want.
4) How to set proguard settings
5) I’ll be shipping my first game after a month or so, so I am not sure what exactly people face or aren’t aware of while shipping the game.

Thanks: https://github.com/chukong/programmers-guide-samples/issues/31 feel free to append

2 Likes