Prefab nested in Prefab loose their original prefab link

I’m making a platformer game that contain section that will be loaded randomly infinitely. I want my section to be prefab so I can instantiate them dynamically as the game progress.

Node List example:

Section_01

• platform
  • platform
  • coin
  • coin
  • coin

Section_02

• platform
  • platform
  • platform
  • coin

etc…

Platform and Coin are prefabs that I insert inside the Section_01 Node. Then I make prefab out of Section_01. This way I can remove it from the tree and focus on other section building.

At this point platform and coin are not linked to their original prefab, they are now part of the prefab Section_01. As far as I can understand why it is like this, I would like to find a way to keep my platform and coin linked to their original prefab. So if I change the elasticity of a platform, I can simply modify the prefab and apply the modification.

anyway to do this? or maybe a work around or another way of doing this?

thanks a lot!

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, does someone has a solution for it?

Not sure if this is the issue, when you have a Prefab node selected in the Node Tree, look in the Properties panel. You should see a little link icon followed by Prefab: . If the links are not connected (which seems to be the default), the prefab will not automatically update when a change is made elsewhere. This threw us off quite a bit as well, not sure if it works with nested prefabs, but I’ll let you know if I come across it.

Hi cmarrin519!

yes I am aware of this feature but that doesn’t fix the issue, this keep the node in sync with its prefab.

I made some research and apparently it is an “issue” also present with Unity, so I made some research on how to do workaround.

I’m going to simply search and replace the all the child nodes by their prefab at load time.

Ah, that’s unfortunate. Hopefully this is something that can be addressed in a future release. Thanks for letting me know.

Would you please let me know if you have a workaround for it?

My workaround is to loop through all children of my blocs and replace them with their prefab, You might need to adjust some properties such as width, height, physics collider, etc but in the end it works. I use the name of the node to link with their prefab.

Any update on this topic?
I use nested prefabs excessively.