(Paid) Upgrading my project from Cocos Creator 2.4.5 to 3.4.2

Hello!

I have a nice game written in Cocos Creator 2.4.5, and I want it to be migrated to 3.4.2.

This is a paid project, the estimated time effort is 3-4 hours, perhaps less. I have one major game.js file, in which all my game‘s logic happens.

Please get in touch so we can discuss the details.
Fabian

don’t upgrade.
3.x.x suck for native

Oh, what is different?

For starter, Websocket has issue (for more than 6 months and they still haven’t released a fix). Spine consumes CPU heavily. Slower native performance. Overheating etc and etc. And some codes which were working fine in v2, didn’t work in v3. You may need to fix the game engine codes if you were unlucky.

So small projects for web, v3 is ok. For serious projects for native, v2 is still a lot better.

Cocos team even admitted in their release notes:

Recently, we have conducted extensive exchanges with the majority of users on forums and offline, and received many pertinent suggestions and criticisms. In response to some product usability issues that have been reported by users recently, we have planned version 3.5 to deal with it as soon as possible, and the public beta will be launched soon. 3.5 will iterate in small steps on the basis of 3.4, improve the usability and ease of use of the product, and ensure stability and compatibility as much as possible.

In the remaining releases for this year, the engine team will also focus on the business needs and pain points of developers, do their best to take care of the needs of various types of projects, and benefit all users. In particular, some projects encountered problems such as heat generation, native performance, package body, editor stability and workflow, which will be mainly solved this year.

And sadly, their 3.5 beta (which supports to fix all problems) broke already working codes. I just tested for a day and I gave up. I am just so tired of fixing their engine’s errors. So, just stay from it. I learned it in a hard and painful way.

2 Likes

We are sorry you have a painful upgrade experience, as we have rewritten the whole engine core in v3, it does break compatibilities, and as the rewritten cover the engine core, our native engine also needed to be rewritten too, very few things we can reuse in v3, that’s the reason we have been gone through a long way. We had to do that because 3d engine can’t use the core of 2.x, we didn’t want to have any misunderstanding on this, so we explain several times in the release note.

What we can promise is that, in v3.6, the native engine will be much more complete and cover a lot of 2d parts, including batcher, spine & dragonbones data submission. So v2 users will have better performance if they will upgrade to v3.6.

I think another frustrating thing is the issues you met, the websocket issue if you are mentioning heavy power consumption on Android, it have been fixed by using okhttp in v3.5
I really want to know what problem you have met in v3.5 beta, please if you are still willing to share, we will fix them

2 Likes