My app was rejected and I don't know how to fix it

So, my app was rejected last night after waiting 9 days. The reason:

From Apple

2.10 - iPhone Apps must also run on iPad without modification, at iPhone resolution, and at 2X iPhone 3GS resolution

2.10 Details

We noticed that your app did not run at iPhone resolution when reviewed on iPad running iOS 9.2.1, which is a violation of the App Store Review Guidelines. Specifically, your app is not optimized for iPad.

We’ve attached screenshot(s) for your reference.

Next Steps

Please revise your app to ensure it runs and displays properly at iPhone resolution on iPad.

I have run my app on each iPhone simulator from 4s to 6s+

I have run my app on each iPad Simulator as well. It works on everything.

I have run on actual hardware of iPhone 6P, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro. It works.

What I think you are saying is that if a user runs the iPhone version on an iPad, that is what is not working.

I don’t know how to run the iPhone version on an iPad. Can you give me instructions on how to do this?

When submitting an iPhone only application you must support running on iPad at iPhone size. That is to say iPad users can download an iPhone and run it in a smaller view 1-1.

You should run your application on an iPad to ensure you comply with expected behaviour.

If you intended to release for iPhone and iPad (i.e. your app will run fullscreen correctly for both) you need to submit as a universal app and not iPhone only.

If you intended to release for iPhone only, perhaps this stackoverflow question will help

Caleb, your comment above eventually lead me to the solution. For anyone else out there who finds this post I will explain how I rectified the situation. I edited my info.plist and removed the 3 keys referring to iPad (you can see these in my edited question above). Then recompiled and instead of the iPad opening an empty iPad storyboard it now opens the iPhone storyboard. That’s all I needed to do. I’m so relieved - for a moment I thought I would have to rebuild from scratch… Thanks again to Caleb!

My app is universal and it runs on every simulator and hardware I tested on. iPhones, iPads, etc.

What the issue is, is the iPhone version running on the iPad. I think this is if a user already has the iPhone version downloaded and they sync it to their iPad.

How do I test for this? How do I take the iPhone version and run that on an iPad?

Did you submit it as a universal app or iPhone only? It sounds like they are looking at it as an iPhone only app?

Some time ago i downloaded an iphone only app on my ipad; i did buy it thru iTunes on the Mac, then i sync’ed it to ipad. That installed it. if i’m not mistaken, this should be the procedure. The app runs at 2x magnified ratio on my ipad.

Have you tried contacting the review team?
I have had two apps rejected of a strange reason and after I wrote my thoughts to them, they went through successfully.

Yes and this is where I am failing. Everything else works, except that scaling situation

Yes, I did and I asked them how to test this and they referred me to Developer Technical Support. So I will create a case with them if I cannot figure this out.

It was submitted as a Universal app.

So what I was thinking was submitting 2 apps. one iPad only and one iPhone only.

This means 2 apps in iTunes Connect and each using a different bundle id.

Alright, so I figured out the fix and now my app was approved yesterday.

The issue…not trusting the simulator and hardware completely.

• I archived my app
  • exported it using ad-hoc.
  • used XCode to take that resulting .ipa and put it on my device
  • run it on my device.

This yielded different results that what I was getting in the simulator and on hardware. I was able to see what was happening and fix it.

It took me some research to figure this out. It wasn’t obvious to me.

Never trust the simulator. It can be used for building the game, but for correct testing,always test on a device with a release build. For final testing, don’t deploy from Xcode but install the .ipa file from iTunes.

@slackmoehrle I faced the same problem. but I do not have the ipad to test it. could you help me to show me the way to solve this?

I solved it be passing my screen size around to where I needed it.

1 Like

Slack. We can quickly test app on iPad, correct ? For testing purposes with there cloud platform. Like almost instantly just view it on my tablet assuming I have Mac, iPad and development account?

Thanks

If you trust testing on a cloud platform. I don’t. I have a few pieces of hardware for testing.

Well I just mean my iPad. I just want to play game on iPad instantly like the way I can play on my android phone with android studio. I’m hoping there is no waiting process for simple testing on iPad, that we can just quickly test on iPad. It Test Flight I am hoping allows me do this instantly !! Do you know anything about this Slack ?