Low FPS in case of multiple windows originated from window.open

So, I had two scenes, with one main scene invoking another scene with window.open
I have build the project with 2 scenes and set up.
But after opening 2 and more windows, FPS of each window falls marginally.

Since I have tried this in empty hello world project,
I can’t figure out it behaves like this.

What’s weird / interesting is that if I change or switch the tab of main scene window, the spawned builds window corrects their fps to almost 60.

Can anyone share some light on this behaviour.

@slackmoehrle Kinda stuck on this one.:confused: Could you help me in understanding/solve this?

Absolutely. I will ask the engineering team for help! @jare

Can you tell us what version of Cocos Creator you are using? Does this only happen in Chrome? What version of Chrome?, etc.

Hi,
I appreciate the help.
Its happening both in chrome and as well as in firefox.
Chrome’s version is Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit). But have checked on other versions too and same case exists.

My Cocos Creator version is - 1.6.1-beta.2 , because its free from this known issue -

I am uploading the demo project here.
Just start the server with npm start on the folder.
And enter url http://localhost:3000/pm/ in any browser

Then you can notice yourself, when FPS drops , you just change the tab of main (entry scene), and then check spawned tabs, they will get their fps around 60.

shishir.zip (3.3 MB)

Thanks for the follow-up and the example.

Sorry, I have no idea about that. It should be an issue of the GPU.

What I am having trouble understanding is , when new build is of another scene and is opened in new window, why the opener tab(entry scene) has any effect on the newly opened tabs.
Anyhow, So can this issue be diagnosed further , because I need to open multiple tabs from my Lobby Screen.
:confused:

Hi @slackmoehrle
Can i expect any update regarding this anytime soon?

@jare is our Creator lead developer. He mentioned your GPU. What did you find out about it?

Well this is not happening on any particular system. I have tested this in at least 3 systems with same issue.
I am not sure how to proceed further.

From my experience running multiple games at 60 fps is pretty taxing on the system. On my i7 6400k / radeon 390x PC it’s not really a problem, but my 2015 MacBook Pro i5 / iris pro I can hardly run the game and the editor at the same time.

What can you tell us about those systems? Specs? GPU Specs? OS version, etc?

Hi @phero_constructs

Thanks for your reply.
But see the thing is the demo above is of empty hello world project,
and the main thing is the following point-

What’s weird / interesting is that if I change or switch the tab of main scene window, the spawned builds window corrects their fps to almost 60.

So this issue is not of simply because the games are heavy , because you can try and run multiple empty hello worlds and they wont give you problem,
but in this setup they are behaving differently.

1. Mac Sierra - NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
    2.Windows 7 - Intel® HD Graphics 2500
    3.WIndows 10 - Not sure about this.

Interesting, so these are cards that use shared memory.

I will update the status in system with dedicated card after checking then.

Hi @slackmoehrle

Apology for late follow up, got busy in another project.

So, you observed a valid point.
The issue which I am facing was not present in dedicated card system as shown in video below.

Points to note in video:
The first system had NVIDIA GeForce GT 620, and it is working fine, with 60 fps

The second system has Intel® HD Graphics 2500 and initially when the entry scene is opened it has poor fps, and then if i switch the tab of entry scene , the spawned builds get their fps to 60.

Let me ask our engineering team to watch your video and review this thread. Thanks for the follow-up.