Issue when converting project to 3.6

Hi All,

I’m not too sure why but after changing my project from 3.5 to 3.6 I’ve now got this error when running the project:

[.WebGL-000033DE017F0D00] GL_INVALID_OPERATION: Error: 0x00000502, in ..\..\third_party\angle\src\libANGLE\renderer\d3d\VertexDataManager.cpp, reserveSpaceForAttrib:520. Internal error: 0x00000502: Vertex buffer is not big enough for the draw call.

It isn’t causing any issues in the project that I can see but thought I would report it as it might be a bug.


hi Thanks for the feedback! I think when using platform webgl1 it might have some issues. Glad to hear it isn’t causing anything, reporting this to engine team for further investigation.

It shouldn’t be happening, it means your vertex data is not fitting the draw call’s index data, might related to some core level issue, do you have any idea how can we reproduce it ?

I have no idea what could be causing the error. I’ll try debugging later if I can. From the error, do you have any suggestions on what might be a possible cause so I know where to look?

Also you say about using the webgl1 platform. Are there other platform options and can it be changed? I’m intrigued to see the webgpu platform, although I’m not sure if that is something that is already in the engine or in development?


On which platform have you met the problem ? From the error message, it seems you are using GLES3 on windows, have you tried Vulkan backend ?

For WebGPU, the development is almost done, here is a pull request for it

1 Like

Is there a setting I can change to use Vulkan or is there something else I need to do? I’ll wait for webgpu to be finalised before using it. Excited for it though!

In the build panel, you should be able to see Render Backend section where you can check Vulkan

Ah thank you, seems to be only changeable on the windows builds. I’m only focused on web builds. I’m still getting the webgl error, I’ll see if I can locate a cause for it soon. I’m just trying to push ahead with the game at the moment as it isn’t effecting anything.

mybad, I saw d3d cpp file, thought it was native build

1 Like

I’ve had some time looking at the issue because although it doesn’t cause any issues I can see it does slow down the game on load for a few seconds. I think due to the error reporting in console. Either way I have found the issue and you can reproduce it.

If you create a new particle system and use the below settings:

To fix the error I changed capacity to a 100. It does appear it depends on what rate over time is set to. Maybe the capacity can’t be less then the rate, I haven’t tested that.

I did also bump into this thread here: javascript - WebGL Cannot Draw More Than 44 Points Even If Enough Buffer Space - Stack Overflow

Turning off hardware acceleration did make the error go away but made the game run at a crawl. Might not be related but thought it might be useful to try and help fix the issue.

I’m now working around this issue and have everything working error free again.