Is it possible to use a spritesheet image for a button

I have a spritesheet with a bunch of images i need to use for buttons, but when i do

Sprite::createWithSpriteFrameName("playbtn.png");

it gives an error in button saying

No matching function for call to ‘create’

edit: I’M USING 4.0 AND XCODE
edit again: I’M USING THIS LIEN OF CODE FOR THE BUTTON:

auto menuplay = cocos2d::ui::Button::create("playBtn.png", "playBtn_big.png", "playBtn_small.png");

https://docs.cocos2d-x.org/api-ref/cplusplus/v3x/d3/d5c/classcocos2d_1_1_sprite.html

what does it mean?

it means you should check the constructors to see why yours’ isn’t working.

ok thanks for the help

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 19.46.09

it looks like you may be doing it correctly. Can you show us more code please?

auto img = Sprite::createWithSpriteFrameName("playBtn.png"); // Tries to load from the spritesheet
    auto menuplay = cocos2d::ui::Button::create(img, "button_green.png", "button_small.png");

menuplay->addTouchEventListener([&](Ref* sender, cocos2d::ui::Widget::TouchEventType type){
            switch (type)
            {
                case ui::Widget::TouchEventType::BEGAN:  // I havent coded anything to do when the button is pressed yet
                    break;
                case ui::Widget::TouchEventType::ENDED:
                    break;
                default:
                    break;
            }
    });

There is no such create function in the cocos2d::ui::Button class. If you looked at the UIButton.h header file to find out what is available, you would see these:

static Button* create();
    static Button* create(const std::string& normalImage,
                          const std::string& selectedImage = "",
                          const std::string& disableImage = "",
                          TextureResType texType = TextureResType::LOCAL);

If you want to use a sprite sheet for the button graphics, then it’s straightforward:

cocos2d::ui::Button::create("playBtn.png", "button_green.png", "button_small.png", TextureResType::PLIST);

All the images need to be in that sprite sheet. If you want to mix and match sprite sheet and individual graphics, you’ll have to inherit from the ui::Button class and add your own create methods.

I realise I may be pointing out the obvious here, but reading the documentation and taking a quick look at the interfaces to the code you’re using does help, a lot.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.