Is it possible to bundle assets?

I mainly develop for web-mobile at the moment. Seeing how every single resource (image/audio) is loaded separately in the browser, I can see this impacting the load time significantly as the number of assets increases. Is there any support for asset bundles (or even compressed files) available right now or even planned?

2 Likes

Hi crauss. I am seeking the same thing to optimize my game. Did you have any progress?
I found about Asset Manager Extension that can load zipped files, but not sure if it works with cocos Creator. I didn’t try it yet, but I am scheduling to see more about it next week

http://www.cocos2d-x.org/wiki/Assets_manager

Unfortunately I haven’t found any solution to this.

The extension you mentioned above is for the Cocos2d-x and I don’t think there’s an easy way to use it in Cocos Creator.

The assets bundle feature is not supported ATM, you could use assetsManager to hot update your game logic but it doesn’t provide the assets bundle feature like the one Unity provides.

Fair enough. Are there plans to implement something like this in the future?

Maybe in 1.6, current the dev team is mainly focus on the stability and performance.

Are Asset Bundles supported in the latest version? @owen could find Hot Update, but no mention of asset bundles.