iPad Pro 11 support?

iPad Pro 11 support?

When running on iPad Pro 11’ inch on simulator (I don’t own the device) game is letterboxed in old iPad (3:2) aspect ratio, namely 1024x768 (in points). Usually this is caused by missing launch image, but there aren’t any new to add in assets editor in Xcode. I even tried an empty project and couldn’t do it. It only worked fine If I used LaunchScreen made in storyboard.

0 Likes

You aren’t getting the right size in the simulator? Is there anything out of the ordinary in your AppDelegate? I also think you can do this without storyboards using launch images.

0 Likes

I can try it for you. I got the iPad Pro 11.

0 Likes

I have an iPad Pro 2 12.9 if you ever need anything.

0 Likes

This isn’t really problem cocos2d-x itself, I think, but from the other hand everyone will probably face this, unless it’s just a simulator issue, which I doubt is.

Can you run an empty iOS project (Single Page) with added launch images? (be sure to remove LaunchScreen.storyboard) and print the size of it?

0 Likes

This is how it looks on simulator:

Here’s example project:

0 Likes

Haven’t tried this myself (our app is still letterboxed), but modifying the Info.plist directly might work. (note: The image and size in the snippet is for iPhones. Using info.plist was the first solution we found that supported one old iphone in landscape-only mode)

<key>UILaunchImages</key>
    <array>
      <dict>
        <key>UILaunchImageMinimumOSVersion</key>
        <string>8.0</string>
        <key>UILaunchImageName</key>
        <string>iphone-launch-1334x750.png</string>
        <key>UILaunchImageOrientation</key>
        <string>Landscape</string>
        <key>UILaunchImageSize</key>
        <string>{375, 667}</string>
      </dict>
0 Likes

Okay - I’ve finally had time to test it out.

Here’s a solution:

<key>UILaunchImages</key>
<array>
    <dict>
        <key>UILaunchImageMinimumOSVersion</key>
        <string>8.0</string>
        <key>UILaunchImageName</key>
        <string>d.png</string>
        <key>UILaunchImageOrientation</key>
        <string>Landscape</string>
        <key>UILaunchImageSize</key>
        <string>{834, 1194}</string>
    </dict>
</array>

It works, but you have to set it up for all devices, which your app supports.

It’s a shame that Apple doesn’t provide a possibility to add new launch images in Assets. Also, I haven’t seen anything in xcode beta changelog regarding this.

0 Likes

I think that I recall Apple is leaning towards developers using Storyboards now instead of manually specifying. However, I have always done it this way and by file naming convention and it still works.

0 Likes