Huge performance difference between Android and Web Mobile builds

Hello, @Koei @slackmoehrle

The builds generated for native Android are quite slow. I turned on the stats and noticed that the renderer is taking up on average 8ms of the frame time.
First I assumed it might be the game. Then just to gain clarity I generated a build for an empty project with a single label. To my surprise the renderer was taking up on average 7.5ms of the frame time for this as well.
Here are the screen shots of the stats from the native build
Game Native

So I took things further and generated Web Mobile builds for both the empty project and my game and found that the performance was silky smooth and the renderer was at 1 - 2ms on average.
Screenshots of the Web Mobile builds
Game Web

I have attached the screenshots of the build config for the Native and the Web Mobile build

I wouldn’t have measured this if I wasn’t encountering frame drops for trivial things such as tweening opacity, scale or position.
Please let me know if I’m missing a checkbox to tick to get the performance that the native platforms are known for.

FYI:
Cocos Creator 3.3.2
NDK: 19.2.53
Android Studio Arctic Fox 2020.3.1

Thanks. I will ask engineering to have a look.

The main problem here is that the native statistics is the CPU + GPU execution time of the renderer, while on the web side the statistics is the CPU time before rendering is submitted, which is the core difference. In addition, since native is multi-threaded, the CPU actually waits for two frames of rendering, and the rendering frequency is limited by the screen refresh rate, so there will be empty wait at very low power consumption, but this has no impact on performance and does not consume resources.

Most of the performance issues I face are when I use tweens for opacity or scale changes.
It’s really breaking the experience when doing smooth transitions

Did you try it with 3.4.1? 3.4.1 has been released, you can download it and try it.

1 Like

Happy to say that the Tween related performance issues seem to be fixed in v3.4.1

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.