How to handle this pointer that was destroyed in another thread?

Now, I have a problem with lambdas, as you can see in the codes below, if this pointer ( the HelloWorld node) destroy, the code in lambdas will crash the app.

Could I solve this problem with std::shared_ptr? Could someone give me some suggestions regarding this problem? Thanks,

bool HelloWorld::init()
{

if ( !Scene::init() )
    {
        return false;
    }

auto visibleSize = Director::getInstance()->getVisibleSize();
    auto origin = Director::getInstance()->getVisibleOrigin();

auto label = Label::createWithTTF("Hello World", "fonts/arial.ttf", TITLE_FONT_SIZE);

label->setPosition(Vec2::ZERO);

this->addChild(label, 1);

auto downloader = new (std::nothrow) network::Downloader();

downloader->setOnTaskError([this](const network::DownloadTask& task, int error_code, int error_internal_code, const std::string& error_string) {

});

downloader->onTaskProgress = [this](const network::DownloadTask& task,int64_t /*bytesReceived*/,int64_t totalBytesReceived, int64_t totalBytesExpected) {

};

downloader->onDataTaskSuccess = [this,label,origin,visibleSize](const cocos2d::network::DownloadTask& task, std::vector<unsigned char>& buffer) {

Director::getInstance()->getScheduler()->performFunctionInCocosThread([=]() {

//the "this" pointer destroyed before that lambda is invoked.
			//so the app will crash here 
			if (auto image = utils::findChild<ui::ImageView*>(this, "image")) {

image->loadTexture("test.png");
			}

//same with above
			if(label) {

label->setPosition(origin.x + visibleSize.width/2,origin.y + visibleSize.height - label->getContentSize().height);
			}

});
	};

}

Several ways to fix this issue.

If your object, HelloWorld, is being destroyed, then the downloader object should also be destroyed, correct? Downloader does not inherit from CC:Ref, so you’re responsible for release memory associated with it.

A possible solution is to make downloader a member variable of HelloWorld, and in the destructor of “HelloWorld”, free it. You may need to set all download callbacks to nullptr before you free it as well.

Make cocos2d::network::Downloader a smart pointer to simplify things (in HelloWorld.h):

std::unique_ptr<cocos2d::network::Downloader> _downloader = nullptr;

Then in HelloWorld.cpp:

// in init etc
_downloader = std::make_unique<cocos2d::network::Downloader>();

// Destructor
HelloWorld::~HelloWorld()
{
    _downloader->setOnTaskError = nullptr;
    _downloader->onTaskProgress = nullptr;
    _downloader->onDataTaskSuccess = nullptr;
    _downloader = nullptr; // explicitly free smart pointer
}

You may need a lock on it, but I’m not entirely sure. The reason being that the callbacks may trigger while it’s in the middle of the destructor, before it clears the callback pointers.

1 Like

Since this is the only open smart pointer topic, and it might be useful to the author or anybody else. I would like to share a couple of classes that make std smart pointers out of Ref objects.

I know that there is a Cocos solution in CCRefPtr.h. And thanks to developers for that!
But there may be cases when you need to use the STL smart pointers.

So here are the implementations:

Code
 template <class RefType, class SmartPtrType>
 SmartPtrType MakeSmartPtr(RefType* refObj)
 {
 	auto result = SmartPtrType(refObj, [](RefType* innerPtr) { if (innerPtr) innerPtr->release(); });

if (result)
 		result->retain();

return result;
 }

template <class RefType>
 std::shared_ptr<RefType> MakeSharedPtr(RefType* refObj)
 {
 	return MakeSmartPtr<RefType, std::shared_ptr<RefType>>(refObj);
 }

template <class T>
 using UniquePtr = std::unique_ptr<T, std::function<void(T*)>>;

template <class RefType>
 UniquePtr<RefType> MakeUniquePtr(RefType* refObj)
 {
 	return MakeSmartPtr<RefType, UniquePtr<RefType>>(refObj);
 }

I don’t think that description is needed here. It looks pretty self-explanatory. But if anyone has a problem understanding this, let me know.

In my next post, I will demonstrate the use of the classes.