Hello ,when to publish cocos 4.0?

I want to improve my game performs, listen to will be a huge render impoving, so i want to know when to publish new engine?

Cocos 4.0 is not available at this time. Later this year is what I have heard internally from the team.

Will there be a 3.17 or will the next version be already 4.0?

3.17 for sure and probably a 3.18, 3.19. I don’t know for sure, but I feel like there should be.

Hi @slackmoehrle
May i know when 3.17 will be released? tentative timeline?
I am waiting for proper Android-studio support out of the box, currently i dont want to change all gradle files etc myself into my old projects.
Thanks.

1 Like

I will check with the team.

Do you want to use cmake for Android or still the old ndk-build?

No cmake.

• Currently we are using cocos compile through cmd only, waiting for new cocos stable version release so we can start using android-studio without any manual gradle modification.
  • We have lot of our code in AppActivity.java so we might have to work on it to work properly in android-studio as well.
  • Do you know if we replace direct AppActivity.java from proj.android to proj.android-studio then will it work?
  • I also hope sdkbox will also work in android-studio, with auto-complete funct. :slight_smile:

This should work, if you use the same dependencies (because of the imports within the java file).

My current problem with the github code is, that cmake is faster, but I’m not a CMakeList expert. Currently I use the firebase cpp dependency, but I have no idea how to add that. And I got an error with a ninja file. So I’m stuck with the ndk-build. I always alter my configuration files, maybe a fresh project and update it to my project will be better. This could be a possible way after the official 3.17 release.

Maybe 1 month

@slackmoehrle Thanks for update.
@mars3142 So i tried Android-studio with 3.16 version project and it worked with my activity.
I used latest Android-studio 3.1

I didn’t get this. You can use Sdkbox for firebase.
I tried IAP, Firebase plugin and both worked in Android-studio properly.

I’m against SDKBox - It’s closed source and on top of simple frameworks. But this is only my preference. If it works for you, it’s good.

My current problem is neither SDKBox nor the Firebase SDK. It’s the “how to integrate 3rd party frameworks with cmake”. Without this knowledge, I can’t use cmake (which is the future for native code on Android) yet. After the final release of 3.17 I can post the error messages, while it’s still WIP I don’t want to confuse the cocos2dx developers.

And I use Android Studio since 3.15 without any problems, so I it’s great for development. Sometimes the latest NDK toolkit (if it’s a beta version), I breaks the build, so I always use the latest stable NDK toolkit for my builds.

What about C++17? I want my template deduction, and my to_string(). Value(*).asString() truncates 64-bit types.

We have no plans to make the engine use c++17 features at this time but you can use it yourself where it makes sense for your code. I use features of it all the time.

Is Android able to compile c++17 with the NDK toolkit?

I haven’t tried on Android.

Ohk. It works great for me.
I have lot of my own code for player sign-in/leaderboard/etc but i use sdkbox for IAP, FB, Firebase, Onesignal only (without any problem).

Ok, You can create new thread for this,i hope somebody will help you out with 3.16 version as lot of folks are using it.
Also any framework will work with cmake or that framework should give support for cmake? any idea?

Wow i dont know about this at all, then i have to keep eyes on cmake as well :slight_smile:

Yeah, i tried with r14b and its working.

1 Like

And I haven’t tried C++17 on any other platforms. I guess that’s the problem.

I can say iOS is working fine.Check out Solarian Programmer for some thoughts.