[Game] Songbringer (Star Wars meets Legend of Zelda)

Hi all! Thought I’d share my latest cocos2d-x game project: Songbringer. It’s a roguelike / RPG akin to The Legend of Zelda but within a sci-fi world that is procedurally generated. Work in progress, maybe 6 or 9 months left. I’m having lots of fun making this game and even sharing daily live streams of the game’s C++, pixel art and music. The streams are all archived on Youtube as well.

16 Likes

Man, this game looks amazing

1 Like

Thanks! Here’s a few more screens:

2 Likes

wow, I love the graphics!

1 Like

Thanks! There’s a custom shader in effect which can use any number of light sources. Also going to work on an automatic normal mapping effect as well. Inspiration credit goes to the cocos2d_tests and all the awesome new 3d code you guys have been adding. Great work!

1 Like

Those are damn fine graphics! Reminds me of Sword and Sworcery.

2 Likes

This is awesome. I’ll watch your streams. Are you using v3.3? How about some technical details?

1 Like

@Toby: thanks!

@slackmoehrle: Yep, using v3.3 via RapidGame (planning to upgrade RG to v3.4 soon).

Some technical details. Well, I started mostly from scratch on the game’s engine, writing a simple struct-based entity component system in C++. Using an ECS has revolutionized the way I think about making games. I do plan on releasing it on Github once I do the last bit of performance improvements (just replacing maps with plain old arrays).

I do share a bit about the ECS in this video at around minute 7.

1 Like

Cool I will give it a watch tonight. If you can I’d love to see more about you struct-based ECS.

Ok, will focus on that a little in the next video.

Looks sweet man! This motivates me to work on a LoZ dungeon-only game (more like gauntlet) I need to finally work on and finish.

1 Like

Sweet! Love to see it.

@slackmoehrle: The ECS was discussed last night in this video at around 2:15.

Thanks @natweiss . I will watch it this weekend!

Rapid game is awesome!

1 Like

@natweiss - Thanks for doing the YT video. It was super informative to see how you are architecting this.

2 Likes

Thanks! An update is coming out today which adds a pure cocos2d-x template and a fix for building on windows.

Glad it was informative!

This makes me want to do a YT series.

1 Like

@natweiss @slackmoehrle agreed, great videos, also makes me want to do the same :smile:
I’ve enjoyed seeing how you built your entity-component system, having used Unity’s and having attempted to refactor some of my core game characters into components.

1 Like