ETC1 texture in spine animations

Hello to all :raised_hand::grin:
I want to use the ETC1 compression format for spine animations and improve performance on Android platform, but I can’t add an alpha channel to the texture.
A little search by code revealed the ability to attach a file with an alpha channel using the suffix “@alpha”.
I compress “sleleton.png” animations texture file using TexturePacker in 2 files - “skeleton.pkm” for RGB and “skeleton.pkm@alpha”.
Suffix great works with objects of the Sprite class(i use create() method), but does not work for “spine::SkeletonAnimation”. What can I do about it?
Code:

auto tmpSprite = Sprite::create(animDir + “skeleton.pkm”);
bg->addChild(tmpSprite);
tmpSprite->setPosition(center);

auto tmpSk = spine::SkeletonAnimation::createWithJsonFile(animDir + “skeleton.json”, animDir + “skeleton.atlas”);
tmpSk->setAnimation(0, “static”, true);
bg->addChild(tmpSk);
tmpSk->setPosition(center + Vec2(500, 0));

result:
example_for_forum
On the left is the Sprite (from the animation atlas)
On the right is the spine::SkeletonAnimation, there is no alpha channel

Cocos2dx version 3.17

The debugger checked that when loading animation textures, the setAlphaTexture method is called for them. But obviously, this is not enough.

which version of spine runtime do you use?

I admit that v3.6.39 (from cocos2dx changelog at May.21 2018)

@halx99 , it seems you have implemented this feature in cocos2dx. I would be grateful if you would help to use it for our project, because this is the only way to optimize spine animations on Android platform.

Can you provide spine animation files?

Solution found.
There is a special shader for correctly drawing ETC1 textures.

2 Likes

As you are new, do know it when a solution is found it is best to mark it as a solution by clicking this tick box that will appear for you here:

Great👍job.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.