Compiling cocos2d-x sample LiquidFun-Testbed Xcode 10.2 - Missing files on compile-time

I’ve been trying to build the cocos2d-x samples by following the steps from https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x-samples exactly, namely

Download

$ git clone https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x-samples.git

$ cd cocos2d-x-samples $ python download-engine.py

Running

Once the samples were downloaded just go any sample, and open the project. eg:

$ cd cocos2d-x-samples/samples/LiquidFun-Testbed/proj.ios_mac

$ open LiquidFun-Testbed.xcodeproj/

However, when I build the LiquidFun-Testbed.xcodeproj, while targeting iOS, I get

Showing All Errors Only

Prepare build
note: Using legacy build system

Build target libcocos2d iOS of project cocos2d_libs with configuration Debug

Build target LiquidFun-Testbed iOS of project LiquidFun-Testbed with configuration Debug

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/Chris/Desktop/source/repos/3rd party libraries/cocos2d-x-samples/libs/liquidfun/liquidfun/liquidfun/Box2D/Box2D/Dynamics/Contacts/b2EdgeAndPolygonContact.cpp'
clang: error: no input files

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/Chris/Desktop/source/repos/3rd party libraries/cocos2d-x-samples/libs/liquidfun/liquidfun/liquidfun/Box2D/Box2D/Collision/b2Distance.cpp'

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/Chris/Desktop/source/repos/3rd party libraries/cocos2d-x-samples/libs/liquidfun/liquidfun/liquidfun/Box2D/Box2D/Common/b2StackAllocator.cpp'

Build failed    06.01.20, 22:25    698.2 seconds

It looks like the compiler is looking for files in

/Users/Chris/Desktop/source/repos/3rd party libraries/cocos2d-x-samples/libs/liquidfun/liquidfun/liquidfun/Box2D/Box2D/

but this path was never created.

After following the mentioned steps above, Box2D and its code are instead placed in

/Users/Chris/Desktop/source/repos/3rd party libraries/cocos2d-x-samples/libs/cocos2d-x/external/Box2D

…So I am wondering

A) Why is it looking for these files in

/Users/Chris/Desktop/source/repos/3rd party libraries/cocos2d-x-samples/libs/liquidfun/liquidfun/liquidfun/Box2D/Box2D/ ?

B) What can I do to fix this and get these samples to build?

I made a special repo for liquid fun because I was going through the same type of thing, it’s a mess.

Instead I compiled all LiquidFun files into one .cpp file follow the instructions here.

P.S if you want to keep your latest cocos2d-x version you can just copy the liquid.cpp file and use it.