Cocos2dx 4.0 vs 3.17.2

Alrighty let me look at this.

@slackmoehrle btw I hit following issue on latest mac version as well Redefinition of enumerator kAudioSessionProperty OtherAudioIsPlaying
I think we really need some new release or update version.

Hi,
I’ve recently switched to v4 on a first app without issue.
But with a second app, I’ve a very annoying issue with DrawNode that doesn’t seems to work on Android sdk 17 (4.2.2). (see DrawNode cpp-tests).
I’ve also some issues with the new render engine to create big textures/images with libs like NanoVG (it is working well on v3).
I’ve a third issue with Win10 that is no longer support in both 3.17 and 4, for now I need some code from 3.16 if I remember well (I’ve never find a way to produce a package to windows store with a Win32 executable).
So I’m going to go back to 3.1702 I think. And wait for a v4 fix.
Cocos team, feel free to ask me for more details about my 2 issues.

Sure. Contact me and I’ll pass along to engineering.

Also I don’t use 4 except on Mac. I still use v3 on everything else. I just run a script at the start of my build that symlinks libraries and goes.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Contact me and I’ll pass along to engineering.

Is there a specific channel? Do you need more details? Sample codes?

Email me with everything relevant

ThisForumId@cocos.com

1 Like

I have to admit, I haven’t had a chance to try past versions of xcode yet, and I’m annoyed that xcode broke my project. Since Windows is my biggest user base (money-wise), I’m focusing on features right now, and then this summer, I hope to get the Mac and iOS versions building again. I really miss how easy it was to just always have all three building and running. I still don’t know what Apple did to break this. :frowning:

Hi, Are you sure about the address?
Thank you
Transfer to the following e-mail recipient or group failed:

ThisForumId@cocos.com
The email address you entered was not found. Please check the recipient’s email address and try to resend the message. If the problem persists, please contact support.

Substitute thisforumid with my actual Id you see :slight_smile: spam prevention method

Ok, sorry for the mistake, I’ve just sent you my tests codes.
Cheers

@slackmoehrle @roots @R101 @bluewind00

1. Do I get this right that for cocos2dx v3 development the latest v3 from github is recommended (not the cocos2d-x-3.17.2)?

2. Could you confirm that latest v3 is stable enough?
    There is big difference between those two versions:
    Comparing cocos2d-x-3.17.2...v3 · cocos2d/cocos2d-x · GitHub

3. Did you release games with latest v3 for Android?

@slackmoehrle

1. I created PR Update CCPlatformConfig.h by crazyhappygame · Pull Request #20693 · cocos2d/cocos2d-x · GitHub to fix build for latest android ndk23. Could you merge it?
  2. I see that travis CI build was not triggered (only appveyor is running). Could you fix travis CI build? Without continues integration v3 still will not compile at all …
1 Like

I can’t. @zhangxm may be able to help, but I am not sure what his priorities are at this moment. I can ask him to review your submission.

I’m using COCOS2D_VERSION 0x00031702 in production on Android.
Looks somehow stable (with ndk 22.1).

Any news on the problem that CrazyHappyGame and I experience with Mac and iOS?

BTW, I now have that running for Mac, by using an older version of xcode, but I’m concerned that at some point, I won’t be allowed to use a 2020 version of xcode to build (and there’s the openGL issue looming).

Unfortunately, I still can’t get the iOS version to run in xcode. I get the error:

Ths file “PSF” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it. I see this in many other places on the Internet, so it’s not just cocos.

Even though it will be great if we get update from Cocos itself for latest XCode and M1 support. But meanwhile you can follow this for Mac

It is working fine
And for iOS

Hey, good news! I made progress with iOS! When I deleted the VALID_ARCHS before, I had deleted them only in the general project, and it finally dawned on me to look at the settings for the cocos target. Once I did that, I’m now able to at least partially launch in the simulator. Now I’m running into a problem with AudioEngine, so I’ll work on that tomorrow.

Also, I’m working with xcode 11.6, so I’ll probably create a duplicate project tomorrow and try xcode 12.4.

Thanks again @smitpatel88 ! I’ll let you know how it works out.

Oh my gosh, I’ve spent the evening working with xcode 12, and I just got the iOS project to build and run in the simulator! That’s debug, so I need to see if I can get release to work.

Thanks SO much, @smitpatel88 !

@dogwalker Could you share a changes and create PR?
I am working on GitHub Action CI and it fails for iOS

Hi, @CrazyHappyGame, it’s hard to say which fixed it, I followed @smitpatel88 's steps.

1. completely delete any VALID_ARCHS entry (select the line and press the delete key), don’t just empty the value, delete the whole line.

2. I set the deployment target to 11.0 (it was 9.1 in my case). I don’t know if this is necessary. Be sure you do this for the app and for the libcocos2d itself.

3. I set Excluded Architectures to arm64 for debug. I didn’t touch release yet.

I still have a lot to do, modify some screens and work on case-insensitive files, but one of the things I want to do asap is upload the build to Apple so that I can then download the release in beta testing.

I hope this helps.