Cocos Creator stuck on importing assets (editing default asset - operation not permitted)

The title pretty much says it all. This is my first time creating a cocos creator project, as I just downloaded & installed it. Whenever I create a new project (blank / hello world), it simply hangs with the message box “importing assets”. After looking in the project files, I found a log (project.log), that has a couple of permission errors, one of them being (the other is identical but for default_btn_disabled.png.meta):

Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, open 'C:\Program Files (x86)\CocosCreator\resources\static\default-assets\image\default_btn_normal.png.meta

These are the permissions for the specified file:

It looks like Cocos is trying to edit the file, even though I can’t understand why (it’s a default asset). Running it as administrator fixed the error and I’m guessing installing the program in a different location (like the default C:\CocosCreator) will also fix the issue.

In this case I have 2 questions: is it normal for it to edit a default asset meta file and why, when failing, doesn’t it show an error screen?

1 Like