Cocos Creator - Custom Resources

I was wondering if it is possible to create custom resources that can be created in the Resource Browser ?
For example I want to create a list of items for an RPG and I think the best way would be to create a subclass of cc.Asset and manage these items in the Resource Browser.
My current approach is to use prefabs but that means all items need a NodeComponent and I can only edit them in the Scene View.
Is it possible to use the Asset system with custom assets ?

3 Likes

Yes and not yet ~

It’s part of our extensibility, we have designed Creator fully extendable, including the Assets workflow, but we are very careful about it, so we are opening the extensibility step by step.

Now you can already customize the Menu, and you can have your own UI panel. The next step is to support more complex panel and scene view interaction with custom gizmos, then probably extension of inspector. The assets extension would be the last step, because it touch fundamentally the design of Creator and its Asset library architecture. You can ask @johnnywu for more details.

Thanks for your reply!

Sounds very promising!

I would suggest the following features for the future:
-> Add options to the context menu in the Resource Browser to create custom assets(All custom subclasses from cc.Asset)
-> Display/Edit their properties in the Resource Browser(Like in other assets)

That would allow us to manage all data needed in a game nicely.

Thanks for your support, Cocos Creator is a very promising tool!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions

Hello there. Any news? Thank you for the reply :slight_smile:

I’m also curious on any updates, I think the more the editor is opened up, the better.
Keep up the great work!

Any updates on this? @pandamicro

Can we override the import process for custom assets and write to the meta files?