Coco studio cancelled?

CocoStudio was not user friendly, I found CocosBuilder more applicable for most games probably because it was simpler and not trying to be everything to everyone. The mac support was terrible (would rather not have it at all and be forced to use VM or another machine). I am fine with them moving on.

CocoCreator has the appearance of being a much better user experience (and it supports re-sizing instead of scaling, yay!). In practice, however, I’ve still found the 1.0 experience to be far from useful with many various little issues preventing me from making even a small game easily. Since it is obviously trying to imitate Unity it has a long way to go to match the capabilities, ease of use, features, and user experience of Unity (this is a biased statement, but mostly objective, and saying something since there are definitely annoyances working with Unity on a single monitor as well). It seems like it will be a high-quality product based on it seems to have many of the company dev resources behind it, and the promise of external plugin components (the UI for these is not good).

I’m glad they’re working on something that has potential instead of working on a dead horse, to be honest.

If Cocos Studio is being phased out maybe making it open source might be a good option for projects that depend on it. Similar to how Parse (parse.com) is phasing out its service

3 Likes

+1
Would be nice to have source code until we’re ready to transition to creator.
thoughts @slackmoehrle ?

1 Like

My inkling here is that open-sourcing Studio will not happen. It has been closed source for so long and I am not sure if we would have the resources to support it, even as open-sourced.

That being said. I will bring this up during our weekly sync meeting.

Hmm. There might enough community around it to keep it going without support. If not, would you guys consider licensing it to get source code access?

I’ll talk to the team during our meeting this week and post our thoughts back here.

It’s very good! I think many developers want to know how long the Studio will be supported

I imagine that the version that is available now is the last version. I don’t think we will see any updates to it. I could be wrong.

Would be very good, if will be released the version with the newly added localization support

Excuse me for asking this question again, but can someone from cocos2d-x team share the information about cocos2d-x 3.11 Cocos Studio scenes import support. I’ve checked current master and it is crashing when running GUI (Cocos Studio) cpp tests on win32. Should developers that use Cocos Studio files stick to current cocos2d-x 3.10?
Thanks!

if it really cancelled, so our hope is creator with c++ on it with persistent update feature, i guess that’s the wishes of almost all cocos2d-x developer :smile:

1 Like

I don’t have an answer, but allow me a few days to find out.

c++ is coming.

1 Like

That’s good to know. Any ETA? Also, and I think this will be pretty important for anyone using Cocos Studio, is there going to be support for .csd files? or an automated migration path?

Thanks for keeping us updated!

I’d say before June. And yes, I believe there will be a Cocos Studio importer. I’ll double check with the engineering team.

1 Like

Maybe this is out off topic but Cocos installer will be update? i mean when 3.11 comes out will be update? i find very useful this tool with the precompiled source…

I already have this on the agenda for our meeting this week. I will update you.

Thanks a lot! i will be waiting! :smile:

After 3.11 update:
Is there any chance to keep Cocos Studio alive?
Or is there some other alternative for pure content, scene, ui item, and animation handling? (c++)
(Like overlap2d)
Because Cocos creator makes much much more…

We will be talking about Cocos Studio in our meeting today. I’ll update afterwards.