Blur at pause works very slow

Thanks a lot! :thumbsup: For static downsampled image it works very fast and looks perfect!
Now I should try it at runtime for an active sceneā€¦ very very interesting.

Hey @Joseph39 after a long time I rethought all thisā€¦ and also found some game(made with unity) on the App Store, which has exactly that blur effect at pause I need for my game:

So itā€™s nice fadeIn-fadeOut blur effect. How I can achieve this?
The problem of downsampled image like to 24 times - is that when any animation runs it will be noticeable ugly looking. Specially if art in that animation of thin. On image bellow itā€™s not downsampled, because moving hand looks very niceā€¦ if you try to downscale it will look badlyā€¦

Currently, stackblur works well and cool even for downsampled images, but I canā€™t use small resolution image for it when doing fade for blur image, because it will look very bad.
So, blur should be applied gradually for example from 0 to 50 for full size(1136x640 ) scene image that are dynamic, notice that hand behind blur is moving and been blurred correctly.
Any ideas how to achieve this with cocos2d-x?

There are already some throughs about this How to efficiently blur Scene Background [C++] [Shader] and How can I add a post process shader?(with example of full code for FrameBuffer).
By the way @zhangxm is that FrameBuffer is really experimental? Can we use it for production games?

Also, Iā€™ve found these games with kind of blur: Badland 2(which written in cocos2d-x? first version for sure) and King of thieves uses blur in their games. I tested on really slow iOS and android devices - it works very fast and nice.
Here is recorded screen from devices:

Thereā€™s definitely some tricks usedā€¦ like downsamplingā€¦ but I think with start small radius of blur it firstly uses full image and then if blur radius becomes large - image start downsampling. Because if you use downsample 24times image with start and small blur radius - it will looks like pixel art. @zhangxm By the way, how I can dynamically get different rendered images from render texture? Re-created rendered texture each time with new sizes in loop sounds not really goodā€¦

However these blurs are not live, as I see it applied only for static image, but I need it for animation like shown in my previous post in this topic. So animation runs under blur.

The idea is to downsample the image and the apply the blur shader on it.
This will make the fragment do less work and thus be faster.
I did it in my game ā€œRun Cow Runā€ and it have a great blur performance.

Hey, can you post code or project example? So I can test performance and quality. Thanks.

It is also implemented in my game, Slots Surprise if you want to see a how it performs.
Hereā€™s the code for the fragment shader:

const char* ccPositionTextureColor_BgfragBlur =
"\n\
#ifdef GL_ES \n\
precision mediump float; \n\
#endif \n\
\n\
varying vec4 v_fragmentColor; \n\
varying vec2 v_texCoord; \n\
\n\
uniform vec2 resolution; \n\
\n\
vec4 blur(vec2); \n\
\n\
void main(void) \n\
{ \n\
vec4 col = blur(v_texCoord); //* v_fragmentColor.rgb; \n\
gl_FragColor = vec4(col) * v_fragmentColor; \n\
} \n\
\n\
vec4 blur(vec2 p) \n\
{ \n\
vec4 col = vec4(0); \n\
vec2 unit = 1.0 / resolution.xy; \n\
\n\
float count = 0.0; \n\
\n\
for (float x = -8.0; x <= 8.0; x += 1.0) \n\
{ \n\
for (float y = -8.0; y <= 8.0; y += 1.0) \n\
{ \n\
float weight = (8.0 - abs(x)) * (8.0 - abs(y)); \n\
col += texture2D(CC_Texture0, p + vec2(x * unit.x, y * unit.y)) * weight; \n\
count += weight; \n\
} \n\
} \n\
\n\
return col / count; \n\
}";

Also, make sure to apply it on scaled version of the image, Iā€™m using downscale factor of 8 and get good results and fast performance.

How to apply this to a Sprite, my knowledge of shaders are very limited. Also, I have iOS only devices.

Take a look at the Shader test on Cocos2d-x tests source code, the are many example there on how to apply a shader to a Sprite.

Okay, Iā€™ve used this shader and quality is far away from whatā€™s needed.

Also, if you follow Blur at pause works very slow I described on this post my needā€¦ as well as how other games did this.

Did you apply downscaling to get a better performance? Did you see the performance of my game with it?

Yes, but I didnā€™t said anything about performance. Repeat - I have only iOS devices.