Assert failed: Node still marked as running on node destruction! Was base class onExit() called in derived class onExit() implementations?

Assert failed: Node still marked as running on node destruction! Was base class onExit() called in derived class onExit() implementations?

Im trying to create Mensch game, here is some of my codes
but sometimes when I try to run it, I face this error:

I didn’t delete any child or parents! and I don’t know what is happening! and I don’t know why it works sometimes without any errors. should different kind of sprites be on different layers? I mean should I put the back Ground on one layer and put other sprites on other layers !?

No. The error is suggesting that you’re not calling the base class’s function in an overridden function. From the code you posted, I see one instance of this. In Game::onEnterTransitionDidFinish() you should add:

CCLayer::onEnterTransitionDidFinish();

In Game you’re not overriding onExit as the error suggests, but perhaps you are in one of the other classes, like MainMenu or GameOver?

Thanks a lot, I think my problem is solved.
I am using cocos2d-x v3.0 and its new container cocos2d::Vector, should I release it in onExit() ?
I know that using CCArray requires retaining and releasing, what about Vector?
Generally speaking, what should I do in onExit()?

The cocos2d::Vector class is not derived from cocos2d::Ref, so it does not have the retain(), release(), and autorelease() functions. I think strictly speaking, you don’t need to do anything with the Vectors, as their destructors call the clear() function.

I don’t always override onExit. When I do, I usually use it to unload any sound effects that the layer loaded, remove sprite sheets that the layer added, and stuff like that.

Still getting this same problem just now. Using cocos2d v3.6 - through RapidGame. I looked all over but I should not have any forgotten calls to superclass onExit or similar.

Btw, the phrasing leaves it totally unclear whether the question is trying to convey that one must call the base class implementation, or whether one must not do so. Even though I know CC I initially understood it as “don’t call the base class onExit”.

Dear all,

I just resolve MY PROBLEM which leads to this same assertion (“Node still marked as running on node destruction! Was base class onExit()…”), and I wanted here to post my contribution in case where somebody did the same mistake as me… Because YES, I made a small mistake, but it caused a very BIG and hard to resolve problem :tired_face:! Let me explain :slight_smile:

Somewhere in my code I did this mistake : I created a cocos2d-x object with a classic static create method, and then, since finally I did not need it, I delete it : like that

Button* but = Button::create(frame, "", "", TextureResType::PLIST);
	but->addClickEventListener(CC_CALLBACK_1(SelectableElementsGrid::menuItemSelected, this));
	but->setZoomScale(0.2f);
	but->setLayoutParameter(_buttonsLPParameter);
	if (_currentLine == nullptr ||
		_currentLine->canAdd(but, _selectionBorderSize) == false)
	{
		if (addLine(but->getContentSize()) == false)
		{
			delete but;   // HERE IS MY MISTAKE !!!!!
			return false;
		}
	}

The result of that is that the memory zone occupied by my but pointer is freed, OK… But the problem is that the pointer is still in the AutoreleasePool _managedObjectArray list (the list of objects the cocos2d-x library internally evaluate periodically to see what must be auto-released because no longer used).
But it does not explain why it causes the assertion we talk about… In fact, later in my code, I create many other ui::Button and it is very strange but one of them takes exactly the same adress then the previous one ! So it is added 2 times in the AutoreleasePool list :cry:! As a result, when auto-release is done by the AutoreleasePool instance of cocos2d-x application, this pointer is released 2 times and since I used the second button in my application, it is still added in its parent when the release is done the second time… And so, _running boolean is still true, causing the assertion :sob::sob:

Arrrrrrrrg ! that was very difficult to debug… I was oblized to add code in the AutoreleasePool implementation to see that my pointer was 2 times in the list !

I hope this will help somebody since I spent one day on that “simple” problem :scream:

See yaa my friends :sunglasses:

I was adding an istance of a node-derived class to a scene.
I had the same issue. I think that you should allocate the istance dinamically using a pointer and new

MyNodeDerivedClass * obj = new MyNodeDerivedClass;
//set obj texture and position
this->addChild(obj);

in this way the instance is not destroyd but you have to manage the deallocation

I hope that this helps

MandarX