App Downloaded from Play Store Crash

I have published a simple game to learn the publishing process, Popprz, on both Apple and Google developed using Cocos2d-x.

The downloaded & installed game runs happily on some devices, Huawei P10 & Samsung Galaxy 10 for example, but crashes on a Samsung S6 & Honor 8 Pro.

When I try to debug the issue from Android Studio I find I can happily debug the same app on, for example, the Samsung S6 & Honor 8 Pro - no problems :[

Can anyone suggest how I should try and identify the problem(s)?

Thanks

To identify this problems you need to collect and then debug crash logs for your app. If you doesn’t do it by yourself or with some help of third-party tools, yours only option is to check crash logs that are collected by your publishing platforms itself.

For android use Google Play Console, and use XCode for iOS.

On Google Play Console just navigate to “Android Vitals” -> “ANR & Crashes” -> Crashes page.
On XCode (I’m using XCode 10.1) open your project, click menu Window -> Organizer. Then select Crashes tab and choose your app version.

XCode will automatically symbolicate your native crash logs, and you can navigate to exact point of crash. For android you can symbolicate native code crash logs for example by using ndk-stack command line utility.

Maybe Android Studio also have some options to view this logs, but I don’t use Android Studio for now. Maybe some one else can cast a light upon them.

If crashes are happening not in the code that you owned but in the cocos2d-x code, you can do a little about this. Cocos2d-x has a lot of long standing bugs that seems won’t be fixed in the near future. But if some crash is just a cause of wrong api usage, your are very lucky :slight_smile:

Managed to ‘see’ the error using a Release Build in Android Studio on one of the problem phones. A linker error on a random method.

My problem was a much too high target sdk/api level. Once I changed this from 28 => 21 ( I also changed my minSdkVersion to 21) the app runs Ok.