Announcing Cocos Creator public beta!

great work guys! this should make things much more faster!

@piotrros i’m currently working in c++ and thinking to switch to js, from what i hear there isn’t problem with performance, you write less code and the WP market is much much smaller than the web, so don’t be a hater and consider this option so that your games would reach much players as possible

1 Like

Well we don’t make any new games for windows phone anyway (just not enough downloads to be worth it, also performance problems). I’ve made few games in cocos2d-js and I hate code management, hack-classes, debugging, code completion and problems in different browsers (my game was super simple, worked in one browser, then I switched to another and faced a lot of issues with sounds and rendering; also on android images look blurred). On top of that we had these games on our site and had to put them down, because someone was hacking our website through them (don’t know the details about the attacks).

Wow! It’s looks prety good! Separate scene and code editors was a little strange. And it was does not convenient.

I’m started thinking about another game engines. But your new Cocos Creator looks like thing that I want use.

2 Likes

The layout / content is stored in json, we should be able to export just the structure and parse it in C++ in the future. But my point is, Creator have its own design and philosophie, Entity Component based architecture and data driven made it really cool, if you only use it as a scene editor, why not, but it’s now why we made Creator. All these cool features will be really hard to share with C++, only if you accept the JSB level in your game.

No linux version?
Why they don’t love me?

We have supported ES6 and CMD modules in Creator, this will greatly improve how we code and manage different modules.

We will try to integrate VSCode into Cocos Creator, and support native/Web debugging via its debug protocol. At the framework side, in the recent v3.11, I have proposed a new Memory Management Model in JSB which will avoid usage of retain / release in JS (means JS object garbage collection will control C++ memory management, no more Invalid Native Object issue).

Support Web browsers on Android mobile is really painful, I agree with you, we have done many thins to fix different behaviors in different browsers, but there are something we are not able to fix. For example, audio on most mobile browser just can’t automatically play before any user gesture, some browsers just don’t support multiple audio simultaneously.

I believe the situation will be improved after Android 5.0 dominate the market.

We are now a small team, Electron do support linux, though we don’t have enough resources to cover all adaptation and QA work for Linux, sorry about that. And we do love you guys

Will hot reloading or live reload in native will be implemented?

So, what benefits are there from using Cocos Creator over simply Fireball-X? (since they say in their website that they support Cocos2d-js?)

The electron GUI wrapper feels slow , and im only loading the example which is in chinese…
I Guess it will be slower when it will handle more graphic assents and heaver games .
Using window 7 64bit 8 giga ram

Scene and code editor is good to have to have different places. Same happens in Unity also :smile:
Gives you more workspace.

We own Fireball X, we should take that website down…

Our engineering team wants to make sure every developer is happy using Creator. C++ will come as will other new features that you are asking for. Please continue to provide feedback for our team.

1 Like

Hi:

Good job, guys.

• What is the roadmap of Cocos Studio and Cocos Creator now, @slackmoehrle?
  • Will they be merged like cocos2d-x and cocos2d-js in all-in-one Cocos, @pandamicro?

Thanks!

To soon to tell. Once the roadmap is set, I will make sure we share it with the community.

1 Like

In my opinion, merge is more practical. Otherwise, I hope continued support in both and it won’t happen like with Cocos Code IDE, Cocos Studio 1.x…

I’m going to wait then. Thanks @slackmoehrle.

Looks nice. But without c++, it’s no go for me. :wink:

@pandamicro can we use es6 without babel in cocos creator? would it still work when we ship it to native platform?

Nice!

That would mean Cocos studio will be obsolete?

U say my voice.
I hope it won’t happen like cocos code IDE

Personally, I do hope that Cocos Studio would not be discontinued without the C++ support in Cocos Creator. There are a lot of developers with their C++ games in the middle of development. I guess we will have to wait for the roadmap.