[Android] Meteor Hit

Hi,

I just released my new game which is a minimalist retro arcade shooter using very simple mechanic.

This is my 2nd game made with cocos2dx 3.17 Thanks again for the hard work the community put into cocos2dx.

Google Play

Feedback welcome.

Majiho

1 Like

Wow, looks retro, would you like to do a developer interview with us? If yes, e-mail me, slackmoehrle@cocos2d-x.org

1 Like

Looks like a great retro shooter, nice job! Good luck in the Play store. Let us know if/when you release an iOS version.

1 Like

Thanks. I sent you an email.

Thanks a lot.

I definitely have plan to port iOS if it gets some success on android.
Hopefully, it should be fairly straightforward apart from the ios specific integration and publishing requirements.

1 Like

Hi all,
It has been some time since the last update.
But I am very glad to announce the game has been ported to iOS with relative ease thanks to Cocos2dx cross platform support out of the box. Most of the time was spent on iOS specific integration with XCode.

The game is now ready for beta testing, so feel free to have a go at it and let me know what you think.

In addition to that, I am also happy to say that the game will be showcased in Gamerome 2019 in November.

Thanks,

Majiho

2 Likes

nice! looks great

1 Like

Hi @Codemattic,
I am glad to announce that Meteor Hit passed the App Review and is now released on the App Store. :grin:

1 Like

Meteor Hit is great fun. I left a review in the app store and I bought the ad-free version.

At one point Meteor Hit asked me if I wanted to leave a review on the Google Play store - you should probably change that for this iOS version!

I am playing on an iPad - and on tablets I wish I had a higher ratio than 1:1 for swipe movement vs ship movement. I would like it if the ship moved twice as fast as my finger movement.

Other than that, congratulations and good luck in the Apple App Store!!

Were you able to get any sales in the Google Play Store?

Thanks a lot for your support and the kind review :smiley:
Glad you find it fun and I hope you don’t find it too difficult. So far, only few managed to get past level 3.

You made a good point about the swipe speed on tablet and I have just pushed a new release (1.6) which provides an option to change the swipe speed inside the in-game pause menu. I hope it will improve your interaction on tablet.
I also fixed the review message, thanks for reporting it. I don’t think Apple would react well about it :roll_eyes:

Sales wise, it is very low on Google Play Store. Less than 1% but I had very low expectations. I’m curious to see how it will compare to the App Store. My plan is to secure a publishing deal at Gamerome if there is traction for it.

another thing: on initial startup the splashscreen is the cocos2d-x logo. You should change that.

oh cool - thanks so much - I think that will improve the feel and usability of the controls - I look forward to that! Now maybe I can get past the 2nd level. Good luck at Gamerome!

another thing: on initial startup the splashscreen is the cocos2d-x logo. You should change that.

majiho_games:
I was thinking about changing it too. At the same time, I thought showing that the game was made with cocos2dx was also a good idea for promoting it. A bit like how unity splashscreen is enforced for personal subscription.

I look forward to that! Now maybe I can get past the 2nd level.

Do you find level 2 too difficult or the whole game too difficult? and do you think it can put off players?

I hope I am not being too pedantic. Please talk to @slackmoehrle for a definitive answer. I don’t think we have free rein to use the cocos logos however we wish. While cocos2d-x is open source, the logo is owned by Chukong and has restrictions on its use. IMHO better off putting “Made with cocos2d-x” or “Made with Cocos.com” in an about box or settings screen. @slackmoehrle?

Do you find level 2 too difficult or the whole game too difficult? and do you think it can put off players?

I like hard games. And frustrating games (like say flappy bird) where you die often can definitely find an audience. I am also doing much much better with the new 3x controls! I am excited to get through it and see what level 3 has in store for me! I really wish I could advise you better on this. But if your goal is to maximize sales then one thing you can do is A/B testing. Do a release where on each new install randomly set it to run an easier version or a harder version and then record which gave you the most sales.

That wall of mines in level two tho - that is… challenging!

You are definitely right about being cautious about the usage of cocos logos and I already changed the launch screen, so thank you for that.

Level 3 is even harder, but not insurmountable!

I guess I will get a better idea at the showcase about how people will get on.

@majiho_games

If you want to use the Cocos Logo in your game, I think we can accept that. The conditions:

• Don’t alter the logo. No changes, no color changes.
  • If you can add some text that says “Made with Cocos” or something we would appreciate that along with the logo.

To clarify, the logo is owned by our company, Yaji Software, a spin-off of Chukong. But yes, we used to be part of Chukong in many years past.

If you have any questions about the usage, please reach out to me.

Thanks for the info @slackmoehrle.
I will keep that in mind for the next release.