A Beginner's Question to Professionals - Where should i start from zero to professional

i created some basic games in libgdx and i have just a basic knowledge about both c++ and js. Also i tried to use cocos creator and despite it’s fast development enviroment, there’s no good resources for learning game development with cocos creator. Althougth long learning curves, there are books about game development both c++ and js with cocosd2-x on Amazon.

Before i inverst time and money i would ask to you professionals. Where did you learn professinal game creation? In 2019 which way should i choose and is there any recommendations? resources? Thank you.

When I started developing games about 6 years ago I didn’t know what engines were out there. I had to research it. This lead me to Cocos2d-x, Unreal, Unity and other engines there were more drag-and-drop. I took 24 hours with each engine and tried to make the same game to see which engine I made the best progress with. Cocos2d-x was the winner. I started to develop games.

When I was unsure on how to do something I:

• looked at the API docs
  • used cpp-tests
  • asked questions on forums.

Although I have most every Cocos2d-x book ever written (not kidding, English, Chinese, Korean, Japanese. By the time they reach print they are outdated. It would be a good time for someone to write a new book because the API has been pretty much the same for several point releases. Someone could pick up the book and still have most items line up with what is still current. Picture of part of my shelf:

For game development concepts, I read a few books on that subject:

2 Likes

Becoming a professional (earning money to live) in game development is harder than many other areas, find a job without having experience or as being self-employed (Indie).
My suggestion for an easier way is to create and publish games as an amateur, and you will learn how to be a pro along the way. Start with small games, don’t worry too much with the tools, the important is finishing and publishing the games, and you will learn a lot.

2 Likes

My policy is to always finish what I start.

If you have a concrete idea and you are inspired by it, create it but make sure to finish it!

Ideas may pop in my head and I may prototype it and not like it so I won’t continue, but that’s not called starting a project.

I’m talking 20 hours on a game, make sure to finish!

1 Like

I am likely on the same level as you (likely slightly better in cocos2d-x) but I’d reccomend the V3 sonar systems course on udemy:

V3 for JS https://www.udemy.com/cocos2d-x-javascript/?couponCode=CC_FREE

V3 for https://www.udemy.com/cocos2d-x-v3-cpp/?couponCode=CCDX-FREE

we live in the age of self education! Save your money!

1 Like

In the first image, how much was the really thin book that says "Getting started with C++ Audio Programming for Game Development

by David something"?

You could also do what I did, if you’re old enough and in a good place in your life. Find a local games studio, and work for as little salary as you can. This way you will have professionals by your side, from who you can learn all kinds of things, and once you get better over time, you can then start increasing that salary, which was zero before, becoming a fully developed professional.

Even though books are good, nothing beats the real deal. Full work day, every day.

It is this book: https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Audio-Programming-Development/dp/1849699097/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550091657&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=getting+started+with+c%2B%2B+audio+programming+for+game+development

I can give you my copy.

1 Like

That’s very generous of you but I’m in no need of it :grin: I’ve never seen a more organised and prepared game dev! what platform do you mainly produce for?

Hey, Is this course relevant to the date? Thanks for sharing.

It is version three