[3.x.x] Native Websocket - CPU Overload

Hello Cocos Team,

We have upgraded one of our projects to 3.3.1 form 2.4.2 and launched it about 2 months ago. The feedback form Android users were pretty bad. They complained about overheating and battery drain while running our game. We thought we made some mistakes during the upgrade and it took us 1 month to track down the overheating issue. Finally, we found the cause and it came from Websocket. (to reproduce: just connect to a WS server and you will see the cpu spikes asap WS is connected.)

We never thought a common feature like Websocket would give us a big problem (WS was working fine in 2.x.x). In my humble opinion as a long time user of Cocos’s products, 3.x.x is a diseatoreous upgrade (may be the worst product) and we regretted using it. Rather than working on or being busy with our own game logic, we spent most of the time fixing the engine’s issues. So, I really wish, Cocos team would do more QA testings and would release patches more frequently. And, can we expect the fixes for this issue (without breaking current codes :sweat_smile:) anytime soon?

On a side note to fellow users, if your native project needs WS, you better watch out with current 3.x.x!

Hi,

Thank you for your honest feedback, and sorry to hear about your upgarde experience. We are more than welcome to figure out the problem together with you for a better user expierence. I believe this problem is already under our redar and i will check with our developers for fix details, we might already have a fix but i will double check with it.

1 Like

Hi , I just confirmed with the team, the websocket issue has been fixed in version 3.5 which will be released in couple weeks. Please give it a try by that time and let us know about it! Thanks again.

Hello Andy

Thanks for your reply.

3.3.1 was released in Sept 2021 and WebSocket issue was there since then (may be earlier than that). It’s been more than 6 months and we still have not released a patch for it. Don’t you think, this is very, very, very slow?

That’s why I said; we need frequent patches/releases.

Let me share you another example, when Android 12 came out in last year Sep/Oct, our CC V3 app crashed and didn’t work at all. This was a major issue. A fix was committed to git 3 months later, around 2022 Jan. Then, it was released to public just last month. It took 6 months to address such a major issue and by that time about 26% of phones are already on Android 12. Don’t you think this is slow?

For us, we couldn’t wait for CC team to release fixes and we got to fix them ourselves (that what I meant by we spent more time fixing the engine than developing our game).

So, if possible, we need immediate releases/patches for major issues. Not every team is capable of fixing the engine themselves and we need your support. Just my two cents and I’d love to see the engine I loved to grow well.

BTW, 3.5 Beta is available here and it’s an impressive upgrade:

@AndyTian @slackmoehrle

Hi guys,

I just tested 3.5 and it fixed the websocket issue.

But, a core/basic function like game.restart() is crashing the game. Not sure how many more new bugs will be there. We seriously need quality assurance team. Now, every new version fixed a few bugs and broke already working ones.

Edit: Just submitted there.

1 Like

hi Thanks for the feedback and thanks for the patient with us! we are trying hard to improve our QA process and the bugs you mentioned in the beta version will be fixed in the official version.

1 Like

Hi, @StudioAMK thank you for checking 3.5 beta, it’s still in beta version, so we want to make sure all found bugs can be fixed before official release, I’m sure with you help we can make this version more stable.

Also I synced 3.5 beta version in English forum, feel free to give feedbacks there

1 Like