Windows Game Contest!

I can only agree with @Dredok

How are the chances of another contest according to the reactions?

All in all, I was very impressed with the turn out of submissions. I am not sure that I can share the number but shall we say it was more than 10 times my age, lol. :smile:

I appreciate the kind words you guys have given me for the support. It really was my pleasure and I enjoyed very much seeing everyone get excited about our first contest. Yes, we had some bumps and we surely did learn how we could improve the process next time.

If you didn’t already figure this out, you should try using Visual Studio 2013 Community for free if the license works for you.

That works great for me with the Windows 8.1 Universal Win32 and Phone project.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2013-community-vs.aspx

Thanks for reply.
But yes i figured that out my self on that time. :smile:
And congratulations to the winners :smiley:

Everyone, I talked to both teams at Microsoft and Chucking and I would like you all to read the following. If you have questions or want to discuss, I am always available.

###1. The criteria.

The finalists were chosen by professional evaluation team from Microsoft and Chukong Technologies, we’ve been carefully qualified all entries referring to the following criteria

Quality of Submission (25%): How visually appealing is your App? How well do you use special effects to develop immersive gameplay? How intuitive is your user experience?

Performance (25%): How well does your App perform on applicable end user devices? Does it run smoothly? Does it work from beginning to end?

Creativity (25%): How creative is your use of the development tools and assets in your App?

Originality (25%): How original is your App?

###2. The Challenge for the 1st Prize

We consider a game is valid referring to the entry date for our official contest website. Some of the games have been submitted to windows store before the contest started, but they also have tried to update games to meet our criteria. We’ve evaluated games all together after the deadline to ensure the fairness on time scope. However, we can’t ensure every game could obtain a prize, but we really appreciate all participants have tried their best to be a winner.

###3. The contact to winners.

Microsoft is carrying on the process. Please look for e-mails from Microsoft.

So any games that were on the store before the contest started could have been submitted?

well my take on this is that they could be there before, but must be updated to ensure they were using Cocos2d-?, etc were basically updated to fit the contest criteria.

Ok but the official rules https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=C8E16EAE2B8FE0CD!107&ithint=file%2Cdocx&app=Word&authkey=!AGP1g9qKRHypNio
say it has to be first published during the entry period.

I read this:

All Apps must be first published or ported to a Windows Store during the Entry Period to be eligible. 

I think the confusing part here might be the interpretation of the word ported. I think that if you have an existing app on the Windows store and you upgrade it to work with Cocos2d-x or change the version of Cocos2d-x version (i.e from 2.x to 3.x or otherwise changing the version) wouldn’t this be considered porting the app?

Hmmm actually you have to take the phrase “ported to a windows store” along with “first”
So you can’t say you ported your game to the store if it was already on the store.
And if you think about it it makes sense because you could have a flood of existing apps that were on the store before the contest started entered into the contest

sure, I see a number of ways this could be interpreted. I think another examples is the Apple Design Awards. Anyone can enter an app and it doesn’t have to be a start to finish to be considered. I could have an app I worked on for years and decide to enter it one year. I’d still be given the same consideration.

No you can’t say you ported it to the windows store if it was already on the store it doesn’t make sense. The only way to interpret is you ported your game from another store during the entry period.

Again, I think the definition used here is different amongst people. I’d say that one could have an app out and port it to a new version of an engine and submit it. This is a new version that was entered during the contest.

Take games like Grand Theft Auto. Take the latest version. It wasn’t started from scratch completely. Walls may have been torn down, engines changed/enhanced, but GTA 5 is a port of GTA 4 and so on down the line…

But it says ported to a windows store which implies from another store.

Timmy:Hey Jimmy good news I just ported my game to the windows store so now you can play it on your windows phone!
Jimmy:Great Jimmy! But I’ve been playing it on my windows phone.
Timmy:Impossible I just ported it.
Jimmy:Impossible I’ve been playing it.

The dialog you pose doesn’t make sense to me though. It is very crafted to how you interpret the word ported.
I might interpret it this way:

Timmy: Hey Jimmy, good news I just ported my game that I have on the windows store to use a new version of cocos2d-x

Jimmy: Great Timmy! I have enjoyed your game so far, why did you port to a new engine version?

Timmy: I didnt have a date this past Saturday so I pounded some Red Bull and cranked it out. What a difference it made. Cocos2d-x is so fast and flexible. I implemented everything I wanted to very quickly.

Jimmy: Congratulations on getting it ported so quickly. BTW, I know of a good date for you for next Saturday! Are you in?

Timmy: No, thanks. I am going to spend the evening participating on the Cocos2d-x Forums. What a great use of my time!

If you really want to discuss this further, please e-mail and I can loop in members of the team so we can discuss this further.

Still no notifications. Check your email. I wrote a letter yesterday.

I saw your e-mail. I am reaching out to a few Microsoft contacts that I know were involved with the contest.

Don’t worry. You haven’t missed a step or are otherwise missing a window to claim your prize.

No notifications for claim prize?

Hi, can you e-mail me to talk about this?

what’s your email?