Why doesn't it open source? Isn't any alternative can instead?

Cocos2d-x is cool indeed, because it opens its source.
But it’s strange that the editor - Cocos Studio, doesn’t open its source.
Can someone told me that is there any alternative tool deeply integrated the cocos2d-x engine we can choose?
(And most important thing is, it should be a open-sourced.)

2 Likes

I do not think there is another tool at all, let alone an open source one.

I think one of the major flaws Cocos2d-x has is its work flow (involving Cocos Studio). We don’t have a tool like Cocos Studio available without any proprietary license. And we can’t forget it’s impossible to have a nice work flow under GNU/Linux systems because there’s no tool available and support is something non-existent.

Is unbelievable in the 2016.

Even we have Cocos Studio, I don’t think it can matched with Unity. Even the functions can be matched, the documentation is still sucks now. That is why it should open its sources, let the community itself take care of it, I believe the tool will be stronger soon, just like the path of engine.

2 Likes

I’m developing my inhouse level editor because of that. If I can finish it, I will release the solution.

You may follow facebook page for now.

Cocos studio is great about UI design side but the level editing side isn’t good for me.

But I think, you may use overlap2d as an alternative if someone can write runtime files.(There are runtime files for haxeflixel and libgdx for now) It looks good.

http://overlap2d.com/

It would be great if we can write plugins to extend its functionality.

Open source doesn’t mean good software,it is merely software license. I couldn’t care less if they are open source or not as long as workflow is good and documentation is consistent and adequate

True - but it does mean that you aren’t reliant on the company for your tools - so if they go bust, stop supporting your version or whatever, you can at least continue using (and maintaining -) the software.

Well ,
there few options here as i see it
You can extend overlap2d , it is very good general propose 2d editor written in java .
You can extend the Sony LevelEditor written in c# with c++ direct-x render. it is very professional 3d general editor .
You can write your own . ( time consuming )

My personal thought is , why to build one…? there is already CocosStudio which paid engineers are working on .
So what if its close source it is only helper tool . its not perfect at all but it is fine i guess .

Again, there’s no GNU/Linux support. As a developer I can’t rely on a proprietary software because what @Maxxx said.

I guess and its only my opinion , majority of the developers which develop mobile games or games in general are
Windows users and then MAC .
As i love Linux ( i work/develop on it 90% in my day job ) .
You are in the Minority .
And from business point of view its not worth it not at this stage .
And you do want them to success in their business decisions.
so we could get good open source game engine.

CocosStudio and SpriteBuilder came from CocosBuilder. Cocosbuilder is opensource and is on Github. You can browse the GitHubs and see common developer names (The brilliant vlidholt, rkachowski, slembcke, and many others have contributed)

What do you mean with that?

means that the original code was opensource and their code is not.

My approach, which you might investigate for yourself, I use Illustrator (for you Inkscape) with a custom script that I wrote which generates C++ code based on the design of the illustrator file. So all my scene layouts are designed, then exported (layers as pngs), and code created which rebuilds the scene for me.

You could write a Python script for Inkscape to do the same.