What features do you wish Cocos2d-x provided?

I can tell you that audio is coming in the next release after 3.2.

2 Likes

I subscribe to the long-term stable version, and thatā€™s not because it breaks my game when I update cocos sometimes, thatā€™s not an issue. I can always upgrade towards the end, and overall, not that much changesā€¦

The reason I would push for a long term stable version is to give the community a goal to strive for. As a contributor to the project, I sometimes worry if my contributions are even relevant. If I contribute to the EditBox class, is it necessary? Or should I focus on the TextField class?

The way I see it is defining a very clear line between third party contributions, and core cocos2d-x. The coreā€™s API should rarely change, while the third party code isā€¦ third party. If one is good enough to go into the core, then there should be one and only one of that type of component. Allowing the community to contribute modular extensions around the core would be ideal. You can checkout the guys at GameClosure. A developer contributed a whole tilemap engine, and it plugs seamlessly using their basil CLI. Cocos2d now has cocos, so that is a start.

I wish there was a ā€œCocos Zen of codingā€ somewhere, as well. What are we emphasizing on here, performance, ease of use, maintainability, modularity, ā€¦ etc.

1 Like

Video support for win32 and mac (+possibly android and ios). This is crucial for many large scale desktop games.

A small one, but I think so many apps do this, itā€™s definitely worthwhile:

• Cross-platform API to open a URL.

Please add Transition for popScene

1 Like

Enhancements to texts would be great

1. Flowing text) Like how in RPGs, text flow letter by letter on to the screen to form the sentence. The flowing movement pleases the eyes a lot more than just static appearance of text

2. Vertical text) Traditional Chinese / Korean / Japanese scriptures have text flowing from top to bottom, right to left. It would be great if an option to display text vertically could be implemented to produce such traditional atmosphere.

More sophisticated ui, for example add scrollbar to the cocos2d::ui::ScrollView,ā€¦

This might be slightly OT, but what about a package repo for third-party code? (Like npm, rubygems, pypi, cocoapods, etc: my personal favorite is npm). It can be built into cocos-cli. Imagine building up extensions based on versioned dependencies :blush: . Surely this would encourage more open-sourcing of components and minimize re-inventing the wheel. A lot of the things people are requesting here could be implemented as extensions (packages) to keep the core lean, while still having the visibility it needs to get used, instead of just on GitHub or some zip file dl somewhere.

This has been discussed before, but obviously an official endorsement would go a long way before committing to the work-load.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the continued feedback!

I thought Iā€™d start one a while back, called it cocoSeeds. Didnā€™t get far, though.

Thanks incredible game engine.

I want drawing rounded rect with sprite, but there are no code.
If add it, cocos2d-x will be more perfect engine.

Please provide the desicription of member functions and classes for integrated physics in the api documentation.

Right upto 3.1.1 the physics api was not integrated with the general cocos2d-x api, but it got solved in cocos2dx 3.2 rc0

but the description of the physics contents are missing.
please fix it by 3.2 stable releaseā€¦ :smile:

@pabitrapadhy - posting your requests in 1 topic is enough. Posting in multiple topics just confuses things.

oopsā€¦ soryā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

i posted it hereā€¦ later i found thatā€¦ there is an announcement for the improvement of wiki and api.

Better socket support.

We have a tutorial that should help with this feature for now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdrCZvOXssY&index=12&list=PLRtjMdoYXLf4vzkg0wdBrp7YoOThOLf4H

Thanks @SonarSystems

Maybe a dedicated ā€œAPI engineerā€? That person would be responsible in making sure all API naming conventions are sane and consistent.

I donā€™t mind sending my naming suggestions, but it will be chaos if everyone sends what they feel is better.

I am saying this because I recently started using the CocosGUI API, and there are quite a few issues there, like:

Widget::ccWidgetTouchCallback callback): Thatā€™s typing widget twice. Once is enough.

Widget::addTouchEventListener: In Cocoa, addTarget actually adds the target. In this method, it just sets the callback. It should be renamed or fixed to actually add an event listener.

Yes, I can see that. I know that naming conventions and standardizing has been discussed on how to prefix, name, cleanup, etc. Thanks for chiming in.

1 Like

Thanks @dotsquid

Actually, cocos2d-x has the timeScale feature. It was added a few years ago. It is part of the Scheduler:

Regarding feature request #2, what would be your ideal workflow ? Thanks!