WebP support is a go :)

Hi guys,
I have successfully added webp support and it seems a viable replacement for both png and jpeg

Screenshot attached.
Guess which ones which ^^

Martell

webpvspng.PNG (347.1 KB)

Cool! Which platforms are supported? Does it support transparent webp images too? How are the loading times compared to pngs?

Nice work. :slight_smile:

I have only tested it on windows via mingw64 but it should support any platform, unfortunately ios uses some native calls for image loading,
and android seems to use some java calls. Ill have to dig deeper into the Matrix. :wink:
Android support will be my next target, hopefully tomorrow.

I’m using webp version 2.0.0 and yes an alpha channel is supported :slight_smile:

Awesome! Sounds like something I could use in my current game when it supports iOS and Android. :slight_smile:

I am a Co-Founder and CTO of a new Games company based in Ireland,
We will be using cocos2d-x for our first title, so I will need to heavily modify it to suit our needs.

We have a landing page up at the moment and our first title should be around Christmas.
Come check us out.
http://www.atomsplitgames.com

We have a twitter and facebook page.

Hopefully I will be able to contribute some code back to the community at some point :slight_smile:

Good luck with your company. :slight_smile:

@Andrey

Here is my sample implementation. It probably has memory issues cause I wrote it in about 10 minutes based on the webp opengl sample.

dont forget to add all the .webp file checking in other cpp files
and kFmtWebp in CCImage etc

Im using version 2.0.0 of webp and webpmux provided by people at google.