We should speed up the cocos2dx development

Hi,
my company is using cocos2dx in several projects. We’re really dependent on what is being developed in the cocos2dx framework. However, in order to help with further development, we can’t afford to hire extra programmers just for that.
Maybe the cocos team can accept donations to speed up the development? In our case, we need the feature “prebuild libraries” that is listed in the roadmap for 6 months now. If we make our developers do this work, it will take them much longer and by the end, it will cost us more. So why not having some sort of premium feature request for the cocos platform?

best,
bm

1 Like

Here Prebuilt libraries setup the definitive guide and game project kickstart for cocos2d-x 3.13.1

Not tested on recent 3.15 version, but should work.
Moreover, it’s free… :wink:

it’s for android. We need the libs for Windows (32 and 64bit).
Windows support in general is a problem. I see people working on it (frequently committing stuff), but it’s not enough. Maybe financial support would help.

I’m using prebuilt libs. I don’t know why you need windows support, because major platform are iOS and android. You can compile lib just cocos gen-libs -p win32 --vs 2015 -m debug it’s command from official documentation.

p.s. for speed up development I would suggest cocos2d-x guys remove a lot of dumb features like 3D.
Some people already did so https://github.com/c0i/cocos2dx-lite this is only 1 example.
Too much things in cocos2d-x makes it heavy and too long to compile… but yea- nobody will do this)

Our games work on mobile and desktop devices. Windows is the major platform for desktop distributions.
Sorry i should have mentioned that i ment windows-desktop, not windows mobile.
As i said, windows deployment makes lots of troubles, one problem is how these libraries are provided = tons of errors.

Ahh, never tried it. Well, developing using cocos2d-x to desktop platform actually looks a bit wrong…? I believe should be used some other class engines for that. I don’t know who will play 2d games on desktops… it’s all like another level of gaming where users have 1060-1080 graphics cards… and what you will give them? Sprites in 2d? Well, thats just reality… anyway good luck :slight_smile:

Actually, support of Mac and desktop platforms were done because of quick launch(build for x86) and native speed. For example I’m developing my game on Mac and I’m using only macOS build target. I’m playing & testing game mostly on Mac. For sure I’m testing on real devices, iOS for example, but working with macOS target really save my development time.

Have you looked at rapidgame? I personally have never used it, but I believe it can generate the prebuilt libs you need.

Yes, i agree.
However, i was suggesting helping the cocos developers somehow, to speed up the process. I’m sure everyone wants something done that has not been provided by the engine so far. I’m willing to pay for the work and i think there are other companies too. Even very big companies are using this engine and they spend tons of money to train their developers. Lots of other people are making good money with cocos, but only very few people are into extending this engine. So why now not allowing people/companies to sponsor the development of certain things.

ok this sounds nice, thanks for the tip

They are currently moving into china. Read this - We need a friendly ENGINE, not a dysfunction EDITOR

And this post:
We need a friendly ENGINE, not a dysfunction EDITOR

So, I don’t think that they care about what you want.

I am not sure under which rock you are living in, but 2D games on desktop are still a thing and people are still playing them. It’s true that they don’t tend to stay very long period of time in “Top sellers” (well atleast in steam), but they can still deliver a good gaming experience. Are you saying that games like Terraria, Dead Cells, Shovel Knight, Castle Crashers, BattleBlock Theater, Undertale (thought hadn’t played this game yet) aren’t unworthy to be made on desktop platform? Hence even Geometry Dash released on steam platform and players LIKE IT.

However, I must aggree that cocos2d-x is not the best solution using on Desktop Platform (Windows/Linux/Mac). Better off look for other engine. Unless the price to develop the game is cheaper (by time) than paying for a game engine license (looking at you Unity).

Lol
You dont know anything about gaming for sure.

But dont you have to pay additional $99 for that?
We make multiplayer games a lot, by using windows we can just double click .exe file 5 times and 5 players can be run in single machine. And by that developer can test easily all functionality by adding/removing player into same room etc.
Also there are lot of clients which want inhouse games now-a-days for marketing purpose or gamification etc. Because of lot of windows users.
Lot of can happen out side Mac, believe me :slight_smile:

I think you only needed to pay an extra $99 if you wanted to distribute a macOS app to the apple store. But I believe even that has been consolidated under a single $99 license for all platforms now.

Are you sure? Before we have to pay $99 each for iOS & Mac developer program.
I have iOS license.

@smitpatel88 I’m using windows pc and mac… My windows pc is atleast 5x better than my mac.

But development wise mac/xcode is way way faster. Visual studio takes forever to just run the project.

1 Like

I totally agree that visual studio is slower compare to xcode.
For me visual-studio takes 10min for first time compile, after that it takes around 5sec to run project.
Xcode takes around 5min for first time compile, after that normal.

Yes: https://techcrunch.com/2015/06/08/apples-new-developer-program-offers-ios-os-x-and-watchos-tools-for-99/

Okay, cool.