We need a friendly ENGINE, not a dysfunction EDITOR

Would be stupid from both of us this thread flooding.
You know also wikipedia, the definition is clear for me, see overview part:

If you are a software developer, who works every days with an IDE, you know what is the difference to debug if you can see the registers, memory, call stack, etc, versus debugging with log messages for example…

1 Like

Sorry, @gejza , but I am a software developer who works every day with VSCode, developing software in Angular 2 and Node Js
I edit the code, using intelligent code completion. I use built-in (or, essentially so) automation tools to build and serve the application as it is updated. I then debug the application by setting breakpoints in my Typescript code allowing me to step through, one instruction a a time, inspect and change the values of variables at run time etc.
So doesn’t this mean, according to your pasted bit from wikipedia, that VSCode is an IDE ?

Maxxx, if you want it, then name it ide. There are some missing point, integrated development environment: where you can make everything in that application, to produce a binary. From resource (gui) to source editing, compiling, linking, packaging.
This thread is like a shit flame war. If you are proud you develop js, do it. I’m on the opposite side. For me a binary is the goal, not a script.

1 Like

And nothing can’t be changed. Reading this topic it’s all clear for me.

Specially looking for this ideas from it:
3D framework & 3D editing in Cocos Creator

• JavaScript and WebGL firstly

• JavaScript is still the first class language

• Once it’s mature, we can avoid maintaining the JavaScript / C++ 2 framework, but merge into one. Currently my idea is to use C++/WebAssembly as the engine core, but still using JavaScript as the first-class API interface.

• and so on…

Reading article from Ricardo from my previous post in this topic, it’s clear that he has same vision of cocos2d-x future(short: C++ and SpriteBuilder). And he tried to create an editor(again same as SpriteBuilder) in Qt in C++. And now what? He is not here. Really why? I believe because he tried all the same as I’m currently trying on this forum(by creating vote topic: js vs c++, by writing rude but true posts). No results.

In perspective, I’d just use modified cocos2d-x(it sometimes patched from main repo with some fixes) which I’m currently using with SpriteBuilderX and thats all. No other options.

But also I feel that all this happening is good… because it opens a possibility for a new engine… and maybe someone someday bring it to us. Or there can be a some miracle, like Google will chose also SWIFT as another language for Android. The funnest thing that they had this idea, but finally chose Kotlin. But imagine if they chose SWIFT: we would now talk about some kind of javascript possibilities for cocos and other things around it?

Maybe you are right, at least I feel very good, refueling

I had reply to @walzer 's post, and hoping everybody to see the real questions.
Scripting or programming language isn’t the problem at all.
Editor, IDE, vim or emacs? What’s wrong with those guys? They were out of the topic.

Well, actually I’d pick some another fast enough and simple language than C++, but only 1 limitation - it’s should be supported by Xcode and Android Studio.
But later I realized that C++ should be used… there are many other concerns.

1 Like