[Vote]Cocos2d-x future: C++ or JavaScript

Already. But we are talking here like about more higher level… and just fork it’s like nobody cares about it, only who fork it. And overall you should think much more forward… it’s not topic about that.

As you said the c++ still very popular and is MIT licensed. Thats what im talking, why dont fork it? If people really cares about the c++ side they would help on a project like this. The problem I think is that is easier asking others to do the work (here Chukong).

Anyway, Chukong should say if they are going to stop giving support, it looks like. Being honest I mean.

And if nobody cares about it… about what are we talking here? just take the lead.

My thoughts exactly

Why not create cocos2d-c++ & leave cocos2d-x to Chukong to continue development of the js engine?

1 Like

Because it’s should be a group of people(small company maybe 5-10people ) who develop & maintain:

• engine
  • documentation
  • fixing bugs
  • developing new features
  • testing on all platforms
  • understand and develop UI & UX for…
  • develop a usable editor(which is again a huge task)

For all that those people should be: programmers, designers, managers, artists etc… And all that requires a lot of resources. A hardware just to work on and again hardware on which test all the engine & games. From iPad’s & iPhone’s 5,6,7 to some android’s(list is too big, anyway at least needed 5 devices with different resolution).
And of course there should be a leader of all, which takes direction and coordinate next steps, contributing ideas…

All this just a very quick draft(really not full) of what I’m seeing how it should be, in real life its more complicated.

Just fork, well that can push someone and give some enthusiasm(like, ok I have it! now I will do how I want it to be), but it’s will gone after some time, very quickly. Because again, nobody will care about that fork… and many other problems will arrive.

2 Likes

I disagree!
There are many, many open source projects out there managed by individuals and helped by interested parties.
If you took cocos2d-x C++ as it stands and essentially worked on maintenance and supporting new devices then I don’t think there’s actually that much work to do on the code itself.
didn’t @walzer & @ricardo pretty much run it before it was taken over ?

So the engine needs maintaining, bug fixing but not too much else
Documentation - sure always suffers the most cuz its not so much fun, but if one isn’t continually adding features it’s easier on the docco too
Fixing bugs - I think thats what it should be about! Get a nice compact stable C++ engine that does the basics and is stable.
New features I think should be left as much as possible unless individual contributors really want them - I feel sometimes new features mess up what’s available and make it more complex and less lightweight.
Testing? That’s what us users are for!
UI & UX - nope. Leave it as a game engine - you want UI, use sprites!
Editor? Why should an editor be part of the project? If someone wants to start a project that is an editor, great - but leave editors and engines as separate
the beauty of open source is that people can get together to achieve great things. Yes, it needs a leader or two to manage, but it doesn’t need to be as big a deal as you make it out to be.

1 Like

If what you describe would work in real life, we would have a long list of engines and different versions of cocos, created by individuals, convenient and popular. You just do not understand how difficult and pragmatic to do engine and how much to take into account …

And ricardo already leaved cocos2d-x, it’s been said, and walzer taken another direction to js, so I don’t see what you can ask.

I agree with @Maxxx, forking seems like the logical solution to the problem at hand. We’ve been using cocos2d-x for a long time as is, a fork to simply strip out the unwanted extras while finally fixing long standing bugs would be great. Even if another new feature is never added it would be better than the current direction. Although some new features that have been abandoned in favor of focusing on Creator would be nice.

2 Likes

@anon98020523, I do understand your concerns about the work involved and the potential for it being abandoned after the fork. Certainly the BEST solution would be to have the engine stay with chukong and remain focused on what it has always been and stop the JS/Creator push, but that does not seem likely.

Maybe you all should try the cocos2dx-lite engine once. Cocos2dx-lite is exactly what everyone here seems to be asking for. A fork from current cocos2dx C++ with some less-used components removed. And it is already developed and maintained by the same great developers who are maintaining the current cocos2dx engine. Almost all bug fixes are committed to both the main cocos2dx and the cocos2dx-lite repositories by the same core developers.

It won’t get abandoned because it is, and will remain, the main core engine which runs all the games developed using the Creator. Even the games created using Creator using JS when built/exported - run using this engine on device.

The cocos team is doing a good job of giving more developers options to develop great games using technologies of their choice, I don’t understand the worry here. Maybe they should just release the cocos2dx-lite as cocos2dx 4.0 quickly to stop all this fear, they have already said they plan to do so eventually (read my other post above).

It is based on cocos2d-x[version 3.9], but remove 3D and other features. It works on iOS,OS X,Android and Windows.

The major change:

Remove 3D features

Sprite3D
Skybox
Terrain
Light
Navmesh
Physics3D
BillBoard
Animate3D
Bundle3D
MeshSkin
etc…
Only support iOS,OS X,Android and Windows.

Remove support for LUA script(It’s temporary)

Remove deprecated classes and functions

Remove Camera

Remove Physics integration

Using FastTileMap instead of TileMap

Remove C++ implementations of CocoStudio parser

Remove C++ implementations of CocosBuilder parser

Remove AssetsManager,AssetsManagerEX

Remove Allocator

Remove AutoPolygon

Remove support for WebP,S3TC,ATITC

Remove support for game controller

Improved robustness and many bugs have been fixed

3 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

To be fair, the whole topic is a troll-fest now. There really isn’t a reason to continue the discussion. Nothing productive is being discussed anymore.

1 Like

I believe people who voted for C++ realized whats happening and be in future:

Main direction is cocos creator, js, cocos lite. Current cocos2d-x v3 will not be supported later and cocos2dx-lite is the future, which serves, speaking again, for cocos creator.

And people who voted probably will not use it, as for me it’s 100% no.