Visual UI Editing Options for Cocos2d-x version 2.2.6

Hello,

I recently inherited a large project that is still using cocos version 2.2.6. We have plans to overhaul the frontend/UI and I was considering the options I can use to achieve this.

The current process uses a custom build tool which exports illustrator files to json, which is then used to instantiate sprites and buttons in c++. While this process works, it is a bit cumbersome and time consuming and for the most part the position information becomes redundant when objects get parented etc. It also doesn’t cater for any kind of animation.

I have seen mention the use of a few different UI tools and would like to know about the feasibility of their use.

Firstly there is Cocos Studio which I believe is now unsupported but may be ok in my case as I’m still on 2.2.6.

Secondly there is Cocos Builder which seems to be in a similar state to Cocos Studio.

Thirdly there is Cocos Creator, which doesn’t seem to fully support c++ currently.

For each of these options, is it possible to retro fit their functionality into an existing Cocos project, or do the projects have to be created from scratch in the respective builders?

Is updating Cocos to 3.* an inevitability if I want to use one of these options?

The project is on both android and iOS.

Thanks a million for taking the time to read!

There’s no easy solution for c++ in cocos atm. Porting for any reason will require time and money.
So it all boils down if you need to expand the work or it’s just manteinance. The former allows you to spend some resources on porting someway.
The latter calls for simple adaptation of your illustrator map to something that support animation. Splines and bezier curves for paths, and added attributes for data you need. It’s all there.

Thanks for the info.