Using .MP3 in your games

Hello, i have read that you need to pay licensing fees if you use .mp3 files in your games, does anybody know if this is true , if so how did you resolve this ?

Didn’t the license expire on that, or was that mp4? There was something about it.

1 Like

im not sure i think i seen something like that, i think im just going to publish my game and hope for the best :smiley:

Yeah the license expired on .mp3, so no worries about it.

Disclaimer: don’t trust info below, and I’m not a lawyer :smiley:
It’s usually just the encoder that requires license fees for developers, and then most of the “players” pay the license fee to allow the .mp3 to player on their device. So the owner of the program where the .mp3 was created/exported is required to pay the fee, and then Apple/Google/etc are required to pay to play it on their devices.

So you should be able to use Logic, GarageBand, Adobe products, etc, and then export into .mp3 at which point the format license fee no longer applies. Now of course you need license to use the audio itself, but that’s a different topic.

Therefore I believe you can use HEVC, H264, H265, etc as long as you create in a program that supports export and play on a device that supports playback without requiring a license for the format itself (encode/decode).

3 Likes