Use Steam's data folders?

Use Steam's data folders?

Thanks! I tore my left pectoral muscle, completely ripping two tendons 100% and another 95%. Can you believe that, LOL?!?

Sounds like you were going for a max bench!

Close!! I was doing dumbbell flys on the bench, and I guess I was the dumbbell.

1. my spotter wasn’t there,
  2. our max weight had been 40#, and I had just gone up to 50# (again, no spotter!), and could tell I was unstable,

BUT for some reason I simply cannot understand myself, I decided to try 60#. I did 2 reps, and the third was horrific. I’ve never experienced anything like that. It was very stupid of me.

I guess live and learn!

Hey, thanks again for the tips! I was wondering, are you planning on releasing your game on the Mac as well? My game runs great on the Mac, but I need to decide whether to try to release it to the Apple store or Steam. I’d prefer Steam for eventual multiplayer, but I haven’t quite worked out the kinks yet for creating a Mac version on Steam.

Also, I need to research and see where most Mac users buy their games.

Good luck!

I’ve never built any of my games for OSX but the setup docs for Steam list some Mac specific cases so it’s probably fairly straight forward. I’ll need to hit you up when I do so I can figure out what you learned, haha!

I know on Steam you can filter by OS so maybe they just do that. I’ve heard that Windows is by far the larger platform though.

Yeah, my plan is:

• finish the iphoneX work (just finished that)
  • submit to Apple for testing, but not for release yet
  • create a new Steam product, set up depot, etc (just for Windows at this time)
  • get it where I can build and deploy the new game to Steam
  • I need to create new game icons

I want to get the game fully releasable on both Steam and iOS, and tag the code. Then I’ll create a branch I can work on to continue adding features, since my release goal is mid or late August.

Only after I get everything else done will I work on the Mac version. I hope it goes smoothly, and either way, I’ll sure be glad to share my experience and any lessons learned!

If you ever need a tester, let me know!

absolutely! I’ll touch base with you once I have it on Steam. Thanks!

Tank, I’m looking into CricketAudio, and I notice it says to refresh / call CkUpdate() every frame. How did you implement that?

thanks!

Right before I load in my main scene from AppDelegate, I schedule an update callback that I use for my game loop, which updates steam and the audio stuff. Doesn’t seem like you actually need to call CkUpdate but I do anyway.

MainLoop::MainLoop() {
    this->seconds_played = 0.0f;
};

void MainLoop::schedule() {
    cocos2d::Director::getInstance()->getScheduler()->schedule(
            CC_CALLBACK_1(MainLoop::update, this), this, 1.0f / 60, false, "key");
};

void MainLoop::unschedule() {
    cocos2d::Director::getInstance()->getScheduler()->unschedule("key", this);
};

void MainLoop::update(float dt)
{
    this->seconds_played += dt;

GAME_LOGIC->update(dt);

SteamManager::getInstance()->update(dt);

CkUpdate(); //doesn't seem to be needed, but w/e

}

so like I’ve got a static instance of MainLoop, and I call MainLoop::getInstance()->schedule() and it hooks into the Director’s scheduler.

Thanks so much!!

Hey, thanks so much for this tip! BTW, what values did you enter for Byte quota and Number of files? I’m thinking of just using the maximum values.

I like your idea of using Auto-Cloud, I think I’ll try that first. I was going to go the route of writing all this code, but I’m really short on time, and this looks much better. Thanks again!

I used something like twice what I thought I might need. Auto-cloud seems like the way to go, definitely!

Thanks, you rock!!

Oh, were you able to test the Cloud functionality during development? It looks possible, from a quick glance.

TankorSmash, just curious where you call SteamAPI_init() and SteamAPI_Shutdown(). I added the call to SteamAPI_RestartAppIfNecessary and to SteamAPI_Init() in main.cpp under proj.win32, but I can also see adding those to AppDelegate.

And if I added them to AppDelegate, then I can add the SteamAPI_Shutdown() call to the AppDelegate destructor. That’s what I think I’ll do.

Steam init happens in bool AppDelegate::applicationDidFinishLaunching() for me and I put the shutdown in ~AppDelegate(). I don’t use the RestartApp anywhere, but I should because I rely on Steam everywhere lol.

Very cool. I don’t know, I’m still very raw on this. Yes, I’ve had my games “run” on Steam, but this is the first year I’m actually interfacing with Steam. Should be fun, and your help has been fantastic. Lots to learn!

Once my 2019 version is actually released, I’m taking a break from this for a few months, then I’m going to start on 2020, and my #1 goal will be implementing online multiplayer. Now that should be interesting, LOL!

Yeah that sounds like a whole bunch of work, good luck man! Hope your new version goes better than mine has haha

I’ll be honest, it’s a brutal market, and people can be so mean. I get discouraged every year, because the earnings just aren’t great, but each year, I hope “these new features will make a difference.” All I can say is to hang in there. We know that all successful people keep learning and have many attempts before something really clicks for them.

The key is to have fun and keep trying, right? And to learn. I keep listening to customers and hope I’ll eventually have something that has broader appeal, even if it’s eventually in a completely different application.

Good luck!!

Just sharing my progress periodically, in case anything I do can help you now or in the future. Most of my progress if from you, though, LOL!

I now detect when the user brings up the Steam panel (Shift-Tab) and pause my animation or resume my animation if they remove the panel.

I’m hoping to have a working build tomorrow, and I’ll test downloading it and running it in Steam then. Hopefully by next week, I’ll be able for you to test, if you’re interested.