Testin Crash Analytics - A NEW Cocos service!

Hi Everyone,

We are excited to announce a new service called Testin Crash Analytics

Testin provides mobile app developers with comprehensive crash reporting and diagnostics, in real-time, to help developers identify the causes of app crashes and exceptions over time. If you are a developer you can fix crashes in the shortest possible time allowing you to improve your games stability and performance. Testin currently supports iOS and Android.

More information about Testin can be found at the products website. There is a FREE trial available and the pricing is extremely affordable. This makes is essential for every developer!

UPDATE 2/17/2015:

I wanted to try and provide a really clear update. I’m sorry for the confusion that this has put everyone in.

1. The pricing page had been updated. Basic crash analytics is free for lifetime, when user’s app with MAU <50k.

2. The plugin is free under any circumstance. The are two tiers of services with the basic one is always free as well when MAU <50K. Pro crash analytics is the paid services with more features. You can see the features in the pricing page.

3. There are many crash analytics services in the market, but Testin is the only one support Cocos-2d-x cocos2d-js or lua. Unfortunately, this is only supported in the Pro tier (when user sign up for the basic service, all features will be unlocked for the first 30 days). Using Testin is totally optional.

4. There is no change in business model. We haven’t changed a thing here and there is no plan to EVER do this.

1200 USD / year is extremely affordable?

I look at it this way, the faster I can fix crashes and the more info I have at my fingertips the better. It is worth a price for sure. A reasonable developer makes more than $1200 in a 40/hour work week. If you spend 40 hours a year dealing with the issues this product helps solve, it is worth it.

I do understand what you are saying, it might be out of the price range for some.

I don’t want to sound harsh but if I could afford 1200 USD / year I would use unity (because that’s only 300 USD more).

But I am looking forward to see other cocos services!

No offense taken :slight_smile: Unity is more than $1500 though if you are targeting multiple platforms. Plus plug-ins, assets, etc (if you buy those). We aren’t comparing apple to apples exactly but I get your point.

We work hard everyday to try and provide the best game engine out there. For many it is the best for them. For others we need to work harder to win them to our engine!

It’s actually free to use for games that has less than 10K MAU, which means it’s basically free for small games.
(corrected 10K MAU)

Ups, okay… Sorry, I overlooked that. I only looked at the table ^^

I have to agree with @Michael. It might be “reasonable” for big budget studios, but not a one-may show working out of the basement.
Where are the times, where someone was able to buy a service/product through a one-time fee? Everything is going to the cloud and at the same time implementing subscription based services/products,

A reasonable developer might be productive for his money and you end up with something usable, but a crash service can be a total different situation. Implementing it, does not guarantee more MAU or more IAP revenue or game sales, but you still have to pay the monthly fees for your MAU plan. There is no value in knowing about crashes/fixing them WITHOUT an increase in MAU(besides getting rid of the bugs, which have to be fixed by a developer, you have to pay for, of course).

It’s like investing in a car engine tuning without getting something back. Fewer crashes might increase MAU, but then again, you have to pay even more for the crash service. It only makes sense, if your revenue increase is higher than the fee you have to pay for making that MAU increase possible.
If that revenue is lower/equal to that, there is no value in using it. It’s pig in a poke, isn’t it? :wink:

Easy to overlook, cause it is not mentioning it anywhere, does it?

There is a Basic tier which is free. They only mention this on the FAQ (and only indirect)

Yeah, right.

I guess this was done on purpose :wink:

But what I’m not getting is, why the cocos2d-x icon is on that website. The SDK is for Android and iOS and the integration has to be made in the platform specific code on your own.
So please, can someone explain to me the advantage of using this service with cocos2d-x? I guess it’s the “platform integration”?

Testin provides a cocos2d-x plugin, which make it easier to integrate with cocos2d-x, NDK support is quite nice to have.

I totally understand. I am a fan of buying something once. The cloud to me still seems to unreliable and if there is an outage or hack or whatever the case may be I’m potentially left in the cold.

Thank you! I was not seeing the cocos2d-x platform integration at first :blush:

Totally! And you never know where your data is really stored or how it is scattered all over the place. Additionally your data is not really deleted, if you quit a cloud service. You are not able to use the service, but the service provider can still work with your precious data for free.

$1200 / year? haha

There are many services with more features , some are even free:
Crashlytics, Crittercism i.e.

The way we see it is.

This is great for the developers who make games like Temple Run etc that are small time compared to Supercell but can easily afford it but starting off then it’s not worth it as a lot of developers don’t make much money straight away.

It’s situational. Perhaps a free cut down version would be nice.

@nite said this above!

Only for 30 days.