Survey: the reasons why I won't use Cocos Creator

Ricardo, as you know, doesn’t work for the company anymore. He definitely had a vision for the engine that was different that what our superiors had. Cocos2d-x wasn’t Ricardo’s engine. Ricardo made Cocos2d-Python and Cocos2d-Objective-C. Eventually Cocos2d-Objective-C faded they pivoted to Cocos2d-Swift.

Ricarod’s thoughts are spot on. I was there. There were indeed 2 editors being developed at once. Cocos Studio was not living up to expectations. A new editor was being developed by the U.S. Team, but if I remember this was sort of a rouge project. I don’t believe the U.S. Office had permission. I don’t know for sure but that is what it felt like to me.

I get what you are saying. I truly do. You want a better editor that is more like products you already love and you want some focus from us that matches what you want us to focus on. I pass along the thoughts and opinions of these forums to my superiors. However, I don’t control the engineering schedule.

This topic as now become a dead horse again. It is yet another topic that has droned on with opinion and not fact. All I can tell you is what we are doing now. Talking about the past over and over and saying over and over that Cocos is dying isn’t going to change anything. We don’t feel it is anymore. We made mistakes in the past. Now we are moving in a direction where we feel we have learned from our mistakes and are trying to move forward. You should too :slight_smile:

1 Like

For sure I know all that and the history.

No. You and they, didn’t get that it was only one right choice of editor, how it’s made and work.
Key things: similar to CocosBuilder, c++, Qt. As result of not listening: all that editors and apps was cancelled, it’s was obvious for me, I knew that it will happened(by using that products, how they work… quality and again UX&UI), same as I know now what will be with the Creator in the future.

You know it’s a signal, other users seems to be started thinking in this way, like this. Who wanted to spend time here to talk without any results… like because nobody will start over and create an editor with Qt and C++…

It’s just a taste, all finally depends on a taste. It’s so hard to understand… Probably you just can’t create a normal editor :sunny: but it’s simple, just use Ricardo words… and get some UI&UX guy )

I get you are stuck on us making a new editor according to other specifications that what we are currently doing. I don’t see us changing our course at this time. However, I wont stop passing along feedback and if you have concerns you want to voice to me directly, please do. We can talk about it and come up with what we should present to the engineering team and our superiors. Working with Ricardo was an amazing experience, I don’t want to loose what used to make us great to our users.

So, I’m waiting for answer from mysterious - they, who didn’t listen Ricardo :slight_smile:

http://discuss.cocos2d-x.org/t/survey-the-reasons-why-i-wont-use-cocos-creator/38404/121

1 Like

Now that I spent a month straight moving over my project files from Studio to Creator and then forking the plugin, I think Creator is a better product but the C++ plugin needs more support in order to be a little more resilient and support more options.

For what it’s worth, I think a big part of the reason Cocos in general is hard to get into is because the English docs aren’t as full as they could be. I know it’s better now but it’s a long way off from where it could be if there was more people making changes. There’s a lot of pages that are out of date and there’s no clear for a community member to tweak them. I know I wrote an intro chapter for one of the earlier manuals and I can’t even find the PR anymore!

With Creator, I think it would benefit from more documentation, or at least some way to motivate other people into helping out.

Creator is nice because the interface supports searching and I think more closely reflects what the cocos codebase is actually doing, rather than hiding it through (useful) abstractions.

Actually I have migrated from unity and enjoying cocos2dx so far. I have learned a lot of c++ in this process and I am happy about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you ever tried Unreal Engine. I also don’t like Unity and Unreal has C++ (and the custom one: Blueprint) support for your code. But I understand, that you don’t want to port you current progress to another engine.

1. It’s very off-topic here
2. I tried
3. Overall experience - it’s AWKWARD. You download some launcher, then you need to login, then you watching all time some videos on the background from some 3d games… in launcher on the site, then you install engine in some stupid place by default: /Users/Shared/Epic Games
4. Some links for iOS docs are not working - from here https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Platforms/iOS/QuickStart at the page bottom:

All this not working:

• Content Creation for Mobile Devices
  • Creating Materials for Mobile Devices
  • Creating Textures for Mobile Devices
  • Lighting for Mobile Devices

5. Then all that UI/UX in editor buttons and overall like from 90’s.
6. In Docs there are path like [GameDir]/Build/IOS/[GameName].mobileprovision, so this shows me that they are not iOS oriented overall, but it’s just work and they don’t understand principles…
7. Engine 5Gb size, FTW.
8. If you try to find some “Unreal Engine 4 iOS Xcode” on youtube - you will get most relevant vide of 3years old. Even if you sort it by date, there are some dumb videos.
10 That’s far enough to forget about it.

Do you tell users on the Unity forums that they are dying and it is just a matter of time?

Seriously…I’m not trying to be an ass.

They just done right things to get on top of the market and with a lot of same awkward things there, it’s already doesn’t matter, because now it’s monopoly. Any company who developing games using it and they will not change this for any other engine.
Still waiting answers about Ricardo words.

I don’t have answers to give you. Ricardo did state what he thought would have made a better editor, in his blog, after his employment ended. Our superiors had already decided to go their own way with what they thought would work better. Not really any clearer than that.

We have already understood this. I’m done :smiley:
All in due time.

I’m glad you understand now. Phew. Yes, all in due time. Our engineering team is working hard on the next release and 3D and a new renderer. In due time the next release will be out.

Lol, no. I mean we(many users here) already understood a long time ago that they decided to do a unity lite and same awkward editor as was cocos studio, and that creators of all that editors are not listening community which is C++ and engine which is C++. As reminder:

[Vote]Cocos2d-x future: C++ or JavaScript
[VOTE] Cocos2d-x: C++ or JavaScript editor needed?

I’m actually never said anything about all that if - on the main page there were no any info about that editor and on the forum. But you force ADS it into my face you know ) it’s everywhere. But it’s not what here wanted to be. As I know http://www.cocos.com is a place for that, ok no problem, but why try to ADS closed source editor, JS editor here for C++ guys for which even any editors are not needed actually?

And as you said, I’m not trying to an ass too, just telling you all this information and data, even gathering statistics. But I’m sure you and many of other here think about me badly, but actually I don’t care. I’m just like an opposition :smiley:

@slackmoehrle I hope democracy is everywhere, so this post will not be deleted.

We don’t delete anything on the forums. We dont want to break any links.

So why you unlisted all that topics? It’s like fighting against people with water cannon.

I dont want to remove the posterity, but it is time to move on from these conversations. There is no need to continue talking about it. Decisions have been made and we must move forward. In your mind we are already dead so there is no need to continue with the conversations.

That’s shame. And that’s one more approval of that death. You even can’t properly andwer why you hide the truth of what users decides pn this forum and for this engine.
But anyway, thanks for the chance, this place of some 2D game engine will not be empty, sure some new engine will fill it.

You made my point. You can’t move on from this. You are still thinking about the past. The folks that fund this engine had chosen how they want to move forward. If it isn’t ok with you there are other engines and I encourage you to explore those and see if their superiors want your advice and negative words about how you see their future.