Support for the Nintendo Switch

It isn’t under NDA but it is very easy for you to find out. I can probably say that your number is high.

I too hope the EShop is better.

Yeah, seems like my source was wrong. It’s more like 2k - 3k according to most other sources I found.

I can’t look it up for the Switch yet, my Nintendo Developer registration is still pending. It seems to take a couple of days. Also it’s not sure if they listed it there yet.
But everything you see in the Nintendo Portal is under NDA, unfortunately.

Anyway, back to topic - thanks again that you ask the devs, looking forward to what they say :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup adding an agenda item to our weekly meeting.

It would be great to support it. I just don’t know how realistic it is.

Yes the dev portal is under NDA and I can probably give an option of I think indie devs will wait longer than those that belong to Wario World.

1 Like

Supporting Switch would be great. Although there are still so many unknowns:

• price to get a dev license (is it going to be $100 per year, or $10.000?)
  • is it going to be an open store ? (like google play or app store). Or is it going to be curated and only the super-polished games are going to be approved?

Because, depending on that, it might be suitable for cocos2d-x users, or not. As @slackmoehrle said, he is going to get in touch with Nintendo… let’s hope their platform will be “indie developer friendly”

I e-mailed folks at Nintendo to start conversations.

They have Wario World, which is geared towards studios, they can use c++ or whatever they choose. They have their Developer Portal which is their indie portal. They currently push Unity or NWF for indie devs.

2 Likes

Good news! The Nintendo Switch is reportedly supporting OpenGL 4.5, OpenGL ES, and Vulcan.

1 Like

This is fantastic news. We are currently working with Nintendo to become an authorized tools developer.

5 Likes

Awesome! So much looking forward to it!

@slackmoehrle hey! any news about nintendo switch

3 Likes

@slackmoehrle I’d also love to hear some news.

Same, I’d love to see this happen. I’d really like to develop a game for the switch and I don’t want to use Unreal or Unity for 2D.

1 Like

I believe this task is on hold for now. Without a US office the relationship is on hold pending Nintendo Japan being willing to work with a Chinese company. Nintendo America cannot work with a Chinese company due to government restrictions.

1 Like

Damn! That’s bad news :pensive:
porting 2d (Cocos2dx) Projects to Unity is sooo damn hard :-/

UPDATE: in the last week, my Nintendo developer account was gotten authored, and accessed to all Nintendo Switch docs. Nintendo America is shipping a development kit device to our US office. We’re evaluating the possibility and workload to port cocos2d-x onto Switch.

It’s being evaluated, I don’t guarantee it will be done, or will come out very sooner. C++11, OpenGL ES 3.0, network, audio, JavaScript binding and Lua binding, there’re many things to research on NX.

12 Likes

Hey gang, I partnered up with Panic Button to bring Astro Duel to the Switch. Yesterday we released it!

I think this is the first cocos2d-x based game to launch on the Switch? Really happy with how this version turned out.

Check it out here: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/astro-duel-deluxe-switch

Or if you have a Switch, check it out on the eShop! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Can you share the deets? Like, which version of cocos2d-x did you use, how hard was it to get up and running, etc …

1 Like

We started with a project similar to this blog post. Used Cocos2d-x version 3.13.1. I focused on expanding the design of the game while Panic Button worked on getting it running on the hardware. There is a press release with some more info too.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info!

So cool, it is really great to know it.

1 Like

@Rusty congratulations