Sublime Text with Cocos2d-x

For me, it depends upon platform.

On OS X I tend to use Xcode as much as possible. Combined with a command-line for a few things. I feel that Xcode is pretty good albeit resource intensive. I’ve recently been playing with CMake and a text editor, just using Xcode to package and debug.

I’m getting back into Windows development. I used to use CodeWarrior and a lot of my old projects still use it. I’m now getting more into using a command-line and a text editor that I wrote with some VS for debugging.

Thanks for the Response Slackmoehrle.
What I have here installed is Sublime, I pretty much don’t know the process on running the game with just Sublime and Cocos2dx.
And on the debugging do we really need to use visual studio for it? is there any way to debug it without using Visual Studio. Is it possible with Cocoscode with C++?

It is not possible with the Cocos Code IDE if you are using c++

You could use other tools like gdb if you wanted. To package you can use Apple’s Application Loader tool too. This would get you out of Xcode, technically. I’m not sure the learning curve and lack of a GUI is worth it. Xcode is free.

Well I started this topic out of curiosity to know about sublime and to know whether it could suggest and auto complete feature like Xcode.

As far as my preference I would rank Sublime Text as the best IDE one could have.
So, if you are developing in android and doesn’t need to take glance on auto complete feature.
and if you do remember basic working API , then I do like this.
I have sublime on one side and command prompt on the other side, and I find it very suitable.

but when it comes to IOS side, i dont know anything specific.
I would prefer Xcode. I’ve used it for the last 20 days and I love it.

But remember Xcode is very good at a lot of things that is not available when it comes to android side till now.

Summary

1. If you are an advanced developer or a hardcore programmer and you feel autocomplete feature a child’s play, then go for sublime and terminal

2. If you want a hell lot of user-friendliness and can ignore some possible yet brain tumoring cases of crash, then prefer eclipse.

3. If you are on the IOS side, then god has blessed you with Xcode.
    They say na - “KEEP CALM AND ENJOY XCODE”.
    as it provides -
    auto complete
    visual debugging
    instant access to cocos library inside the IDE and a hell lot.

Still has some better to contribute then always welcome.
as I and the entire cocos2d-x community is keen enough to learn every new things related to cocos2d-x :smile:

as I always say -
Happy Coding :wink:

Well that’s a pretty good summary of all my questions. Right now, I’m a beginner, compare me to a baby. lol!
I have no ideas on all of this, setting up things is just overwhelming, i mean I have enough setting up android, and now I still need to deal with IOS platform also. At first I really thought cocos2d-x is an EASY crossplatform development software. WEW. We’ll I’m not giving up yet.

The got a hell lot of things to ask soon. :smiley: any help with all of you pro developers to somehow make me able to develop games is so much appreciated. Thanks again!

I use Sublime Text 2 at work (Windows) and at home (Mac) for many things but never for development of decent-sized projects.

Visual Studio and Xcode are built for this purpose, allowing auto-completion, debugging and easy modification of build settings.

Sublime Text is for editing single files IMO, not large groups of files.

Here’s a test. Look at some code in your project, for example:

Size visibleSize = Director::getInstance()->getVisibleSize();

Now, how long does it take you to find out what methods the Director class exposes using your editor? If it’s more than 2 seconds then you are doing something wrong.

Is it okay to use free version of visual studio? Does it gives me limitations to functions?
And there’s this Visual Studio Community 2013.

It’s fine.

Okay.
Thanks so much mentors.

Although I love sublime, but I only use it for the python scripts (For cocos). I tried to use it for our dog food game, and quickly switch to Code IDE :frowning:

yay! I managed to run the test the cpp-tests.

Is using Sublime (or any other IDE) better than using the Cocos Code IDE? Is there any benefit to using Code IDE?

Code IDE is for JS and/or Lua development. Not yet c++.

IDE’s can be handy. Some prefer to just use a text editor.

1 Like

Thanks @slackmoehrle, I plan on developing in JS.

Do you mind answering this topic question for me

Well from CODE IDE you can run and debug your applications from within it. Using another editor, this isn’t possible that I know of.

1 Like

I decided to use a text editor since Code IDE is no longer supported. What text editor do you use? And for which language?

Have you tried/seen Brackets? Do you have any opinions about that compared to Sublime Text?

I use a few of them.

Atom for Markdown
BBEdit for most everything else.
I have Sublime if I have a really large file to open.
I wrote a text editor back in 2002 and it still works, so I pull this out every so often and see how it feels compared to editors n the market today.

How about Linux ?

For Linux, I wrote a text editor for it back in 2002 that I still use.

Sublime Text works on Linux as well.

Gedit

vim

emacs

nano

geany