Spine: 2D skeletal animation tool

Travis Scott wrote:

Any news about cocos2d-x runtime ? :slight_smile:

Yes, it went “In Progress” on March 20. So excited to see it.

https://trello.com/board/spine-runtimes/5131f92a7d6864661c002455

Very excited here too. It’s already very useful making spritesheets.

Glad to be a backer on KickStarter for Spine :slight_smile:

The cocos2d-x runtime is ready for you to use!
https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/spine-runtimes/tree/master/spine-cocos2dx
Feedback is welcome. :slight_smile:

Nathan Sweet wrote:

The cocos2d-x runtime is ready for you to use!
https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/spine-runtimes/tree/master/spine-cocos2dx
Feedback is welcome. :slight_smile:

First, your rutime is absolutely useless since it will not work (actually it does not work, and we had to create fork and fix bugs and api) on iOS and Android due to fact you do not properly handle relative paths.

Hint : BaseAtlas.cpp, line 140.

Second thing, we do not like apis with ifstreams (it is personal thing), and you will need to change that to fix #1 (this is truth).

Draco, LLC Draco wrote:

Nathan Sweet wrote:
> The cocos2d-x runtime is ready for you to use!
> https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/spine-runtimes/tree/master/spine-cocos2dx
> Feedback is welcome. :slight_smile:
>
First, your rutime is absolutely useless since it will not work (actually it does not work, and we had to create fork and fix bugs and api) on iOS and Android due to fact you do not properly handle relative paths.
>
Hint : BaseAtlas.cpp, line 140.
>
Second thing, we do not like apis with ifstreams (it is personal thing), and you will need to change that to fix #1 (this is truth).

Well he’ve worked hard to push it out in quite a short time. The example does not include an iOS project, but we can create it easily, don’t we?

Here’s an iOS project which is identical to Nate’s Windows project.

[Update] don’t download the attachment, download iOS example from here: https://github.com/vinova/spine-runtimes/tree/master/spine-cocos2dx

Stefan Nguyen wrote:

Draco, LLC Draco wrote:
> Nathan Sweet wrote:
> > The cocos2d-x runtime is ready for you to use!
> > https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/spine-runtimes/tree/master/spine-cocos2dx
> > Feedback is welcome. :slight_smile:
>
> First, your rutime is absolutely useless since it will not work (actually it does not work, and we had to create fork and fix bugs and api) on iOS and Android due to fact you do not properly handle relative paths.
>
> Hint : BaseAtlas.cpp, line 140.
>
> Second thing, we do not like apis with ifstreams (it is personal thing), and you will need to change that to fix #1 (this is truth).
>
Well he’ve worked hard to push it out in quite a short time. The example does not include an iOS project, but we can create it easily, don’t we?
>
Here’s an iOS project which is identical to Nate’s Windows project. To make it small, I removed stuffs in “libs” folder. Please fill in the folder first to make the project run.

Thanks for your project.

We have already fixed problem with his runtime internally.

I do not see any hard work on cocos2d-x runtime at all. It is <300 lines of code, that does not work out of the box, it does not work on anything except windows i guess, and they were paid $3.5k for that. It is just making money use buzz and hamsters from kickstarter.

Wow, what’s with the criticism? Nathan, I’m very thankful for your guys hard work and contribution to our collective toolset. I look forward to future updates. Keep up the good work and ignore the likes of the poster above.

Ben

Draco, LLC Draco, I release early and often because smaller iterations are generally more productive. I’m happy to improve the cocos2d-x runtime in whatever ways are necessary. However, I find it unfortunate you have chosen such a poor attitude. Feedback is welcome and appreciated, but when you wrap your feedback in whining and bitterness then I have difficulty finding the time and energy to care about your problems. I have a lot to do and would rather spend my time helping users who are courteous and constructive. Have a nice day!

Hey Nathan,

Thanks for working on this, you’re right there’s no reason to look at an initial commit and cry so foul, that’s misguided and not really productive.

Are you planning on writing up any documentation on how the pipeline is intended to work with your plugin, hopefully end to end?

That and a demo application would go a long way.

Cheers,

Sean

Nathan Sweet wrote:

Draco, LLC Draco, I release early and often because smaller iterations are generally more productive. I’m happy to improve the cocos2d-x runtime in whatever ways are necessary. However, I find it unfortunate you have chosen such a poor attitude. Feedback is welcome and appreciated, but when you wrap your feedback in whining and bitterness then I have difficulty finding the time and energy to care about your problems. I have a lot to do and would rather spend my time helping users who are courteous and constructive. Have a nice day!

On Android there is bug, only part of the animation is rendered. It can not correctly add quads to texture atlas.

Hint : you can workaround this by editing BaseAtlasPage* Atlas::newAtlasPage (const std::string &name)

@Draco, LLC Draco I see you are keep hinting Nathan on different issues…why don’t you provide some fixes for this, after all it’s an opensource project and everyone would benefit from your contribution.

Cheers

Cristian Cristea wrote:

@Draco, LLC Draco I see you are keep hinting Nathan on different issues…why don’t you provide some fixes for this, after all it’s an opensource project and everyone would benefit from your contribution.
>
Cheers

Good question.
First of all, he will not accept our fixes, since our fixes affect spine-cpp heavily and add dependencies on Cocos-2dx (to make it work on Android and iOS).

Secon, we already created our own cocos2d spine runtime l before this “runtime” was shipped, and goals was not to use new “runtime”, but to check if we anyone internally can benefit from it.

There is also third point, but it is not time now to disclosure it :wink:

Draco, LLC Draco, nice straw man argument. You’ll need to show some fixes before claiming I won’t accept them. Vague hints that something might be wrong in some situations aren’t helpful, you might as well not bother. You apparently have ulterior motives and it seems you are only in this thread to slam Spine and generally troll. Trololo! :slight_smile:

Stefan Nguyen and Ben Ward, thanks!

Sean Voss, yes, I’ll definitely write documentation. The cocos2d-x runtime includes a simple example of Spineboy walking. The API for all the official runtimes is basically the same, so until documentation is ready hopefully you can find some usefulness from these examples in Java:

They show basic loading and animation, changing attachments, mixing animations, using AnimationState, procedural animation, and using Spine with Box2D.

Edit: forgot to mention we have a diagram for the classes used in the runtimes:

Nathan Sweet wrote:

Draco, LLC Draco, nice straw man argument. You’ll need to show some fixes before claiming I won’t accept them. Vague hints that something might be wrong in some situations aren’t helpful, you might as well not bother. You apparently have ulterior motives and it seems you are only in this thread to slam Spine and generally troll. Trololo! :slight_smile:
>
Stefan Nguyen and Ben Ward, thanks!
>
Sean Voss, yes, I’ll definitely write documentation. The cocos2d-x runtime includes a simple example of Spineboy walking. The API for all the official runtimes is basically the same, so until documentation is ready hopefully you can find some usefulness from these examples in Java:
https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/spine-workshop/tree/master/src/com/esotericsoftware/spine/workshop
They show basic loading and animation, changing attachments, mixing animations, using AnimationState, procedural animation, and using Spine with Box2D.

http://www.files.com/set/514eeb6342929 (rename .zip to .apk)
How fast you can produce this ? Until you can not do it you can not claim there is runtime for cocos2d-x. There is NO runtime, because it does NOT run on iOS and Android. And you claimed on MAIN PAGE there is runtime. It would be ok, but you tried to create a lot of buzz (as usual), but really had not developed features that supposed to be runtime.

Draco, LLC Draco wrote:

http://www.files.com/set/514eeb6342929 (rename .zip to .apk)
How fast you can produce this ? Until you can not do it you can not claim there is runtime for cocos2d-x. There is NO runtime, because it does NOT run on iOS and Android. And you claimed on MAIN PAGE there is no.

No code here, just more trolling. Again, if you would like to help improve the runtime for Android and iOS, you’ll have to provide more than vague hints and “look what I did!”. Otherwise I will just ignore you and your posts.

Nathan Sweet wrote:

Draco, LLC Draco wrote:
> http://www.files.com/set/514eeb6342929 (rename .zip to .apk)
> How fast you can produce this ? Until you can not do it you can not claim there is runtime for cocos2d-x. There is NO runtime, because it does NOT run on iOS and Android. And you claimed on MAIN PAGE there is no.
>
No code here, just more trolling. Again, if you would like to help improve the runtime for Android and iOS, you’ll have to provide more than vague hints and “look what I did!”. Otherwise I will just ignore you and your posts.

You got the offer from the company to develop cocos2d-x runtime about a month ago, but ignored it and even did not answered.

Draco, LLC Draco wrote:

You got the offer from the company to develop cocos2d-x runtime about a month ago, but ignored it and even did not answered.

Ooooh, that was you. You solicited us via email, wanting us to pay you $14k USD to develop runtimes. Yes, we ignored it along with lots of other unwanted email solicitations. The reasons should be obvious, but if not: we don’t know you, we don’t send money to people who email us asking for money, we never requested people to email us so we could pay them to do runtime development, etc. It was never our goal to outsource runtime development, which wouldn’t be fair to the Kickstarter backers. I guess if we paid you the $14k you wouldn’t be trolling us here?

The solicitation email: My name is [snipped], from Draco, LLC (https://www.elance.com/s/llcdraco/). Here internally we use cocos2d-x for building our games and games for our customers. We’ve built about 20 games with cocos2d-x. I offer you to create runtime for cocos2d-x and cocos2d-x html5, for $4k each. We are very dedicated to it because we want to use your system in our pipeline. We can also create runtime for cocos2d objC for $6k. We can proceed with Elance, or with payment via paypal or payoneer.

Sorry that you are sore about being ignored, but Spine is our project, not yours. Hopefully this discussion can now move on. We open source all the runtimes and if you would like to contribute you can submit a pull request via github for the greater good of cocos2d-x and the world.

Nathan Sweet wrote:

Draco, LLC Draco wrote:
> You got the offer from the company to develop cocos2d-x runtime about a month ago, but ignored it and even did not answered.
>
Ooooh, that was you. You solicited us via email, wanting us to pay you $14k USD to develop runtimes. Yes, we ignored it along with lots of other unwanted email solicitations. The reasons should be obvious, but if not: we don’t know you, we don’t send money to people who email us asking for money, we never requested people to email us so we could pay them to do runtime development, etc. It was never our goal to outsource runtime development, which wouldn’t be fair to the Kickstarter backers. I guess if we paid you the $14k you wouldn’t be trolling us here?
>
The solicitation email: My name is [snipped], from Draco, LLC (https://www.elance.com/s/llcdraco/). Here internally we use cocos2d-x for building our games and games for our customers. We’ve built about 20 games with cocos2d-x. I offer you to create runtime for cocos2d-x and cocos2d-x html5, for $4k each. We are very dedicated to it because we want to use your system in our pipeline. We can also create runtime for cocos2d objC for $6k. We can proceed with Elance, or with payment via paypal or payoneer.
>
Sorry that you are sore about being ignored, but Spine is our project, not yours. Hopefully this discussion can now move on. We open source all the runtimes and if you would like to contribute you can submit a pull request via github for the greater good of cocos2d-x and the world.

1.Nobody asked you to pay upfront. You could pay after runtime is created. Do you know what odesk or elance are ?
2. There were 3 offers and not one offer for 3 runtimes.

Draco,

Of course he know’s what Elance etc. are, I don’t remember anyone asking for contract work here?

Point blank, nobody is going to pay you for this code, ever.

If you did indeed make a good product, share it, the reward is in the giving back. Otherwise, spend your time more wisely, in places that might actually pay you.

To reiterate If you are trying to solicit work, it’s not going to work, it goes against all the tenants of open source and you’ll probably not freely give the end product up at that point anyway.

Cheers,

Sean

Draco you are being extremely disrespectful to not only Nathan Sweet, but to the community. Instead of being butt-hurt about not getting some ridiculous solicitation offer try contributing instead!