SIDE SCROLLING GAME

Hi all,
I need a few suggestions from you.
I am planning to make a side scrolling game like rayman jungle run in cocos2dx.
I am very confused how should i proceed.
Is tile map ok for level creation, how to detect collision.
Or is there any other way to achieve cool effect like in rayman jungle run.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Touch Coder wrote:

Hi all,
I need a few suggestions from you.
I am planning to make a side scrolling game like rayman jungle run in cocos2dx.
I am very confused how should i proceed.
Is tile map ok for level creation, how to detect collision.
Or is there any other way to achieve cool effect like in rayman jungle run.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi,

You can use the cocos2d-x for a side-scrolling game without any problem, for physics you take a look at box2d. For the collisions you can use normaly box shape’s in box2d, so tile map’s are just fine. If you want more detailed collision lines you can go with chains types. The hardest part is character controllers, they’re a pain in the ass to make them “good” controlled, but nothing is impossible!

Good luck, keep this thread alive, I am also interested in good platform controllers :]

@Travis Scott thanks for the reply, so i will proceed with the tilemap. lets see how it goes.

I’m working on a scrolling game as well (but in finite space rather that repeated/endless scrolling).

I’m using a sprite and level builder tool to create the resources at the different sizes (including box2d physics shapes) and to create the level layouts.
I’m using Box2d but my game has some proper physics elements so make sense for me.

cocos2d sprites have functions for testing if they touch other sprites so if you don’t need full physics there are other ways to do it.

Adam Reed wrote:

cocos2d sprites have functions for testing if they touch other sprites…
I am interested in this. Did you mean IntersectsRect or something else?