Removing/changing resources in cross-platform projects

Hi, I have a feeling this might be a newbie FAQ type question, but right now it’s holding me up and a search did not reveal the answer.

I have a generated cross-platform project, and I’m working in the iOS simulator. I am removing some images and replacing them with my own as I start to code the UI for my game.

As soon as I remove the generated images, the generated project no longer builds (for iOS) because it cannot find those images to copy into resources. I get errors like:

CpResource ../Resources/../Resources/crop.png /Users/mlepage/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/lse-apdxubchhcuexfhegljvjwfpsknh/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/lse.app/crop.png
    cd /Users/mlepage/Projects/cocos2d-x-2.1.4/projects/lse/proj.ios
    setenv PATH "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
    builtin-copy -exclude .DS_Store -exclude CVS -exclude .svn -exclude .git -exclude .hg -resolve-src-symlinks /Users/mlepage/Projects/cocos2d-x-2.1.4/projects/lse/proj.ios/../Resources/../Resources/crop.png /Users/mlepage/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/lse-apdxubchhcuexfhegljvjwfpsknh/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/lse.app
error: /Users/mlepage/Projects/cocos2d-x-2.1.4/projects/lse/proj.ios/../Resources/../Resources/crop.png: No such file or directory

Yes, it won’t copy because I have removed it. I know that.

But surely removing the resource doesn’t then require me to go into every single platform project and adjust the resources it uses? I am not set up to build each platform project, and indeed I never will be, because I have partners who will be handling some of the other platforms (e.g. Android).

Am I misunderstanding something? How can I remove/rename resources and still be able to build (with the changes) for all platforms?

And even if I am to edit manually, where do I do so? I have grep’d for the image I removed in all the project platform directories (e.g. proj.ios) and it is not listed there. Where is this copy step specified?