Release new object after action

In my game scene I spawn balls from a ball class that move randomly with the MoveBy action.

I call this in my game scene:

Ball *ball = new Ball();
      ball->spawnBall(this);

My question is, how do I release ball after the MoveTo action is over? If I call:
ball->release
Wouldn’t it delete the object before the action is over?

I want to have control of it’s memory (heap) because I found using the stack with automatic release:

Ball ball;
      ball.spawnBall(this);

Some of the balls would stop randomly. I am thinking they are overwriting eachothers memory when spawned.

Thanks

You might be after the RemoveSelf action. If you run a sequence as your action with the MoveTo action followed by a RemoveSelf action, then the node will be removed after the MoveTo action finishes.

Wouldn’t that just remove the sprite in memory within the ball class. I want to remove the ball object in memory created by my game scene class.

Won’t ‘ball’ hold a memory address itself? Or am I confused here.

RemoveSelf removes the node from its parent and, if you haven’t retained the node, will remove the node object from memory.

If by sprite you mean texture, it should stay in memory if you added it to the texture cache.

Ok new to c++ here but when I call

Ball *ball = new Ball();

Is that not retaining the node object?

If Ball is a type of Node then new Ball(); will create a retained object, i.e. a node with a retain count of 1.

If you are not adding ball to the autorelease pool, i.e. node->autorelease();, then you will need to release the object manually AFTER it has been added as a child. (Usually objects have a create function that automatically adds the node to the autorelease pool.)

Right so I don’t want to add it to the autorelease pool. I want control over it, and want to manually delete it after the action is over. Are you able to provide an example where I can do this given my code above?

Thanks a lot

Unfortunately I am not sure what you are doing. Is ball a node you add to your scene?

Here is what I am doing below simplified.

//GameScene class

Ball *ball = new Ball(); //<----need to release this after action is over
  ball->spawnBall(this); 

//Ball class

void Ball::spawnBall(cocos2d::Layer *layer){

ball = Sprite::create();
 layer->addChild(ball);
 auto action = Sequence::create(MoveTo::create(...)), RemoveSelf::create(), null);
 ball->runAction(action);

}

If you don’t need the Ball object anymore after spawnBall is called, then I recommend releasing it immediately after running the action on ball. Once the sprite is added to the layer, releasing the Ball object and removing it from memory will not affect the sprite.

But this seems like a waste of an object just to perform only one function. Would it not be better to add the spawnBall function to the GameScene class?

So is this what you mean? and yeah the ball class has more functions this is just for simplicity purposes.

//GameScene class

Ball *ball = new Ball(); 
  ball->spawnBall(this); 
  ball->release(); //<---released immedietly

//Ball class

layer->addChild(ball);
 auto action = Sequence::create(MoveTo::create(...)), RemoveSelf::create(), null);
 ball->runAction(action);

}

If the object will not always be released after calling spawnBall then that is fine. If the object will always be released after calling spawnBall then it’s best to put the release inside the function so you don’t forget to call it after calling spawnBall.

//GameScene class

Ball *ball = new Ball(); 
  ball->spawnBall(this); 

//Ball class

layer->addChild(ball);
 ball->runAction(action);

release();
 }

Will give this a try tomorrow and let you know thanks a lot.

This works the same way I had it before. The objects are still stopping randomly though, thanks for trying.