Real Time Multiplayer Suggestions

Hi everyone,

This is the gameplay footage of my game.

I’ve tried Appwarp, But i was getting 2-3 sec delay, probably because I am working from pakistan. So it was extremely hard to test the game.

I want 1v1 battle for the multiplayer so there wont be any enemies.

What can i use? how should i use it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Try Photon engine.

Check also nextpeer

First and foremost, this looks like a wonderful game!
We are also considering some support to make our game multiplayer. Do let us know which library / tool you select.

How about Adding Real-time Multiplayer Support to Your Android Game?

A dev’s comment on how compatible this Google Play Services feature with is Cocos2d-x would be appreciated! Although yeah, it’s Android exclusive.

It has native cpp support: https://developers.google.com/games/services/cpp/realtimeMultiplayer

It’s totally independent from cocos2d-x, so it’s 100% compatible.

Why do you say it’s Android exclusive?
The Real-time API from Google Play is available on every platform, where GP is. GP is also available on iOS, so it’s not exclusive at all. The only thing, which is “exclusive”, is the matchmaking limitation to Google+.

What do you need? You would need to tell a few requirements like:
How many CCUs?
A lobby system?
Matchmaking(with or without Google+ limitation)?
Reliable or unreliable messaging?
Free or non-free?
Cloud code?

1 Like

@iQD

hey,

Good questions. For starters I need around 100 CCU.

There wont be any lobby. Player simply clicks on the multiplayer and you wait for another player to do the same and they connect.

Reliable or unreliable, It doesnt really matter. I just want low latency, which seems like a hard task to achieve considering the pace the game is quite fast.

No need for cloud code.

Sorry, I am a newbie at the multiplayer area.

Any suggestions would be great, what do you think suites this game?

Thanks

Any free MBaaS I’m aware of, is out of question, as it’s free limit is around 20CCUs.
Photon only offers free 100CCUs, if you are just using their servers for hosting.

So you need a match-making feature.

You can only achieve that with unreliable messaging. Another important point is, that your chosen provider runs data centers around the world. Otherwise you will see high lag, if you match US and Euopeans/Asian players. You could compensate for that, by just matching players on the same continent.
You get this advantage by using a good MBaaS provider, as they support this matching out of the box. You would have to implement this feature yourself, if you are running your own service.

You have three options:

1. Use free networking engines like RakNet and run your own server/hosted server for
    the matchmaking part(no limitation on the players; can match
    accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, whatever)
  2. Use free matchmaking and multi-player API of Google Play(you can only match against players, who are in your Google+ circles or Google+ in general).
  3. Use paid MBaaS providers like PlayFab, GameSparks or Photon(used by PlayFab).

The MBaaS/Photon solutions have different price tears, which are based on DAU/MAU and CCU. There services is also offered as a subscription model and a one-off license.

Basically the services are around $5 - $10 / 100 CCU. Using a MBaaS provider with all it’s features normally costs you around 10% of your game revenue (related to your DAU/MAU).
Most of the MBaaS providers use REST(PlayFab), others use WebSockets(GameSparks).
By using your own solution, you are totally free and can even use RAW sockets.

Personally, I would go with a MBaaS provider, as they are taking care of everything from match-making(with every major social integration), to NAT-punch-through to scaling.
By running your own service, you will have to take care of everything yourself. Although RakNet offers everything you need(match-making, NAT-punch-though, unreliable messaging any much more), you have to administer your service yourself and also take care of scaling it.

4 Likes

Thanks man! you helped alot. I’m going through all of these to find the best solution :smiley:

How about building simple server for your game , and hosting it on amazon ?
You can see my tutorial on building simple MMO for beginners using Java netty .

You’re welcome!

Keep us updated on your final decision.

Do you guys know if Pomelo is good?

@iQD Google Play Games is deprecated for iOS, as you can see here. So it can only be used on Android.

1 Like