Progress of new backend API

@zhangxm We changed to #define DEPTH_STENCIL_ATTACHMENT_PIXEL_FORMAT MTLPixelFormatDepth32Float_Stencil8 in Utils.h. Now working

Interesting, MTLPixelFormatDepth24Unorm_Stencil8 is available since macOS 10.11, the same as MTLPixelFormatDepth32Float_Stencil8. And the macOS version of my Mac Book Pro is also 10.14.

What are the years of your MacMini and MBP? I wouldn’t be surprised if all MacMinis do not support that capability. My guess is maybe both of your devices do not support it?

You can check the depth24Stencil8PixelFormatSupported feature capability if you want to use 24_N_8 and revert to 32_8 as fallback which I believe all Metal-capable devices must support??
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/metal/mtldevice/1433371-depth24stencil8pixelformatsuppor?language=objc .

Thanks for the information, change to MTLPixelFormatDepth32Float_Stencil8 is ok.

@stevetranby Mac Mini Late 2014 model & MacBook Pro Late 2013

@zhangxm You also need to change here too. Still crashing for me after your latest commit.

Done, thanks. My MBP is mid 2012, which is older than yours, but it can work.

@zhangxm did the integration with cocos2d-x started? are you going to use a different forum thread for that, or you will continue to update this one till the end?

Yep, we started integration. I will update the information in this thread, and mention it if changing to a new ticket.

1 Like

@zhangxm @drelaptop could you release cocos2dx 3.18 (with latest Android ndk 18) before you start integration with new renderer?

2 Likes

Sure, we planed to release it at the end of this month.

Hey @zhangxm
Have you made any progress with cocos2dx integration?

It is in progress, i was asked to support cocos runtime and will continue the work next week. There is another guy working on it too. I will update it here if there is any progress.

1 Like

I strongly hope that 3D support is carried forward with Metal and that there is a real forum to discuss the issue.

The move to Metal is very important to those of us with very actively updated apps still using 3D features in 3.X and hoping to stay with Cocos2dx

Yep, 3D support will be kept. But 2D features will be adpat first.

1 Like

How about the performance? Would it be improved a lot?

It is not finished, so doesn’t know the peformance.

Great to hear, looking forward to further updates

I created a new thread to update the progress of the integration: Progress of graphics backend integration.

1 Like