Programming and drawing?

Hi!

How many of you are actually both good at drawing AND programming?
Like when you make an app, do you then pay someone else to do the graphics?

Thanks!

I am world class at drawing stickmen :stuck_out_tongue:

In all seriousness, I can’t draw to save my life and rely on the amazing talent of colleagues and friends.

Have always wanted to learn, but time…

1 Like

Hiho

I don’t really understand the purpose of the question, really but I can share my personal experience:

If it’s not a big project you might just want to do the graphic stuff yourself if you can, but as soon as a project has a certain size you’ll probably lean toward doing either what you can do best, or what is most lacking in the rest of the team.
So basically if you can do both you’ll be taking the role most suited for the project, graphics or coding.

Though with that said, if you can draw and create graphics AND are good at programming, it’s usually wisest that you code, since many times illustrators will not meet their deadlines and you’ll be forced to create your own testImages based on the specs (which will seem easy to you but may take a lot of time for someone who is better at programming than you but has no skills in graphics)

Also if you have no skill in graphic design and drawing whatsoever yet, check out the internet, you can see if you’re able to learn if you just try, it’s full of useful tutorials and information.

cheers

1 Like

There isn’t really any purpose of the question - Was simply just wondering if people tend to learn drawing or not.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience btw

I can draw decently. I can program games too.

For my upcoming game, in progress now, I’ve made graphics myself. I took me roughly 2-4 iterations to be satisfied with the final design of home screen/menu screen/etc.
Design, drawing and eye for details/design are different things.
My order of skills is:
1) Details/ eye for a good Design
2) Drawing
3) Design
4) Coloring

So, I know that I’ve not drawn good, so I draw again until my 1st point is satisfied. And since I don’t have good design skills, it takes me time to reach 1st point. And I leave good colors towards the end because I again, I can tell that something is not good color combination but what to pick takes me time.

It takes me overall more time to come up with something after I’ve imagined that thing since I don’t spend lot of time on graphics.

I don’t know animation, so I definitely want to learn them so that I can do basic animations for my better games.

Even if your drawing isn’t very good but design and colors are better then also you can build better UI for your game with SIMPLISTIC and EFFECTIVE drawings.

I would definitely want to work with a mature artist who can help me in animations but then he might charge me a lot which I can not afford now.

I usually hire an artist or ask a friend. I usually do the starter art until the artist is actually finished.

Hey slack, where from you hire artist or 2D animation guys?
I want to learn and can learn easily if put in effort but there aren’t really good tutorials online keeping in mind that they’re done for games. :stuck_out_tongue:

I placed an ad for one, collected the responses, interviewed, etc.

What tablet are you using for digital drawing then? I am using Wacom Intous but since your used to being able to see the pen AND the actual drawing then it can be very difficult to draw straight lines etc. when you are drawing on the tablet while having to look at the monitor. This is also why it could be amazing with a cintiq but they are just a little too much expensive compared to my current skills haha

@nichlaspro132
My upcoming game doesn’t have anything that make me work on my “One By Wacom” tablet. This is very basic model from wacom :stuck_out_tongue: Effectively, intuous and Wacom works same unless you buy with-screen tablet which is Cintiq, as you know. I bought it for learning.

I think I can create better drawings and have created in inkscape with simple circles and rectangles :stuck_out_tongue: I wanted to learn animations also but with this way only. If you’re comfortable, you can pick adobe Illustrator too.

Earlier, I created 2 frame-by-frame character animations(running and still-standing breathing) for a game that was being done by my friend. He was happy with it but it wasn’t that good :smiley: :smiley:

Regarding straight lines, I think if you press Cmd (Ctrl in window) or Shift, then it creates great straight line. Check the right shortcut.

Yeah but i am talking in general like when i have to refine the sketch and drawing things very smooth and precise… But still better than a regular mouse though.

Thanks again for your time

@nichlaspro132
So, you also draw for your own games. Have you released any of the games with your game art? :slight_smile: