problem with import to eclipse (Windows 8, cocos2d-x 2.1.4)

problem with import to eclipse (Windows 8, cocos2d-x 2.1.4)
0.0 0

Hi, just got back into cocos2d-x with version 2d-x-2.1.4 and Windows 8, but have been unable to finish setup

When i try to import existing code into Eclipse (selecting the whole cocos2d-x directory as the root but not copying to workspace) i get a whole bunch of red exclamations or crosses on nearly every project in the sidebar, but I cant find out the reason because expanding the project doesn’t reveal any crosses on the actual files. Eclipse then spends an extremely long time running ‘compile++ thumbs’ etc for every project, but it doesn’t end up completing.

The main issue is when I try to run my project, eclipse says ‘your project contains errors, please fix them’, but I have no idea where they are??

I am sure I have: installed NDK, SDK, cygwin (with make) and have run ‘./’ with no problem
I also set environment variables for NDK_ROOT, ANDROID_SDK_ROOT and added cygwin/bin to the PATH

I’ve actually tried both the create-android-project and this (python script method, which is obviously better) but the result is the same.

Thanks in advance for any help