Pro Strategy Football

Back in 2011, I created my first iOS game, Pro Strategy Football. I developed the coaching and resolution in my Master’s project back in the early 90s, and actually sat with Coach Tom Landry for several hours. Last year, I rewrote the game in C++ and switched from cocos2d to cocos2d-x so that I could publish it on Android as well. I’m thrilled with all the functionality in cocos2d-x, and now I’m folding in SDKBOX as well.

My game now runs great on Windows, and I’m trying to get it Greenlit on Steam (I would really appreciate any of you checking it out at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/608100059, and if you like it, please vote Yes.

I want to thank all the hard workers who have continued to improve cocos2d-x into such a powerful engine!

1 Like

Wow! This looks good. Can you tell us more about your Masters project? Do you have a PDF of your work?

Thank you! I’d have to find it, I completed my Master’s back in 1992 (showing my age here!), and I have the print out somewhere. I actually have all the interviews with Coach Landry, though, and someday, I should write a book or something.

The original game was actually released as “Tom Landry Strategy Football” but the company who was selling it folded. Thankfully, I knew the president of the company very well, and he gave me a letter verifying that the product and code belonged to me, not to them, that I had just licensed it to them.

Unfortunately, the game didn’t do that great, because I focused only on coaching and couldn’t use real names, while Madden was … well, Madden. :smile:

Back in 2010, my oldest son suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident, and our family came together to help him fight through that, and my youngest son said to me, “Dad, you keep saying you want to learn to write mobile games and revive your football app, you need to do that now.” He loaned me his Mac, and I did make enough that year to buy my own Mac. Over time, I’ve added more career (player management) features, but I do this in my spare time.

That said, it’s fun, but I keep hoping the game will someday take off. This year, I’m adding a ton of new features that people have been requesting, AND I’m getting it out in August rather than November. I’m hoping that’ll help, but it’s hard getting a game noticed in the Apple or Google stores, unless you go freemium (which I may do someday if I have to).

Other than all the new features, my other biggest goal this year is to get it on Steam! Thankfully cocos2d-x has made that really possible! I’m working on IAP features right now, and I’ll have to do those separately if I get on Steam, but that’s ok. By then, I’ll have the logic worked out.

Thanks for asking, and I’m glad you like it!

1 Like

Is this available on iOS?

How about you do an interview with is for our May newsletter? We can talk about this. E-mail me? slackmoehrle@cocos2d-x.org

Edit: sorry to hear about your son.

Sure thing - just sent you an email!

BTW, Michael is doing very well, and is in college now!

I created this back in 2011: https://youtu.be/mf-BcoDsis0